Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have lived away from my mum since I was 15 (do not know my dad). I have a very poor relationship with my family and do not speak with them.

I want to go to university and have been offered an unconditional place however i am stuck about how to get finance. I am currently applying for my first passport (another mess with having a poor relationship with my family) but I know I have not got a guarantor - how do I go about getting a loan? I do have some money locked away after a serious accident - am I able to use this as my guarantor at all?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bishbashbosh000)
    I have lived away from my mum since I was 15 (do not know my dad). I have a very poor relationship with my family and do not speak with them.

I want to go to university and have been offered an unconditional place however i am stuck about how to get finance. I am currently applying for my first passport (another mess with having a poor relationship with my family) but I know I have not got a guarantor - how do I go about getting a loan? I do have some money locked away after a serious accident - am I able to use this as my guarantor at all?
    You don't need a guarantor to apply for SFE loans. They're based on your residence and status (in your case you'd need to prove to them that you're an independent student under their rules, either by being over 25, by supporting yourself financially (showing P60s) for 3 years or by proving estrangement from your parents (with a letter from a social worker or similar person)).

Your loan entitlement would then be based on *your* household income (so if it's just you then your income would be assessed excluding part time or summer jobs, if you have a partner then their income would be assessed).

You can fill in the paper based application here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...17/new-student

Or apply online here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

You need to get a wiggle on - ideally you want to have all your evidence received and your application assessed and approved by the end of May to avoid delays in your funding in the Autumn.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.