Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Im quite new here but thought i'd ask a quick question. Im studying Environmental Studies AS at the moment and wondered if someone could explain the green house effect to me.

From what I understand visible light from the sun passes through the atmosphere and is absorbed and transformed into heat energy which is then emitted by the earths surface as infrared radiation. This infrared radiation heats the earths surface making it habitable but also is absorbed by gases in the atmosphere which causes the atmosphere to become warmer.

Is the above correct or am I missing something?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hi howie1000,

I did Environmental Studies for AS too, and this is the description I learned:

Visible light from the Sun passes through the atmosphere relatively easily. The light that is absorbed by the Earth is converted to heat and then emitted as infrared energy or infrared radiation. The infrared radiation that is emitted by the Earth’s surface is partly absorbed by gases in the atmosphere, which causes the atmosphere to become warmer, until the surplus heat energy is eventually radiated into space as infrared radiation.

So yes, your description is pretty much correct

ReputationRep:
    Doing geography so the mark scheme definition may be a little different but this is what I say...

Incoming short wave radiation from the sun passes through the atmosphere, most of it is reflected but some makes it through, it then hits the ground where some is absorbed and some is reflected as long wave radiation which is absorbed by CO2 and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, raising the temperature of the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply's appreciate it!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Hi 99tigger,

Thanks for the video, helped me out!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    goood there was a shorter one which was ok but that was quite informative and took longer, there was also one that was 7 mins long and a cartoon, but aimed a but lower i think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.