howie1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Guys,

Im quite new here but thought i'd ask a quick question. Im studying Environmental Studies AS at the moment and wondered if someone could explain the green house effect to me.

From what I understand visible light from the sun passes through the atmosphere and is absorbed and transformed into heat energy which is then emitted by the earths surface as infrared radiation. This infrared radiation heats the earths surface making it habitable but also is absorbed by gases in the atmosphere which causes the atmosphere to become warmer.

Is the above correct or am I missing something?

Cheers!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi howie1000,

I did Environmental Studies for AS too, and this is the description I learned:

Visible light from the Sun passes through the atmosphere relatively easily. The light that is absorbed by the Earth is converted to heat and then emitted as infrared energy or infrared radiation. The infrared radiation that is emitted by the Earth’s surface is partly absorbed by gases in the atmosphere, which causes the atmosphere to become warmer, until the surplus heat energy is eventually radiated into space as infrared radiation.

So yes, your description is pretty much correct
maximo17000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing geography so the mark scheme definition may be a little different but this is what I say...

Incoming short wave radiation from the sun passes through the atmosphere, most of it is reflected but some makes it through, it then hits the ground where some is absorbed and some is reflected as long wave radiation which is absorbed by CO2 and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, raising the temperature of the atmosphere.
howie1000
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply's appreciate it!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
howie1000
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hi 99tigger,

Thanks for the video, helped me out!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
goood there was a shorter one which was ok but that was quite informative and took longer, there was also one that was 7 mins long and a cartoon, but aimed a but lower i think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (25)
5.59%
Uncertainty around my education (51)
11.41%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (53)
11.86%
Lack of purpose or motivation (58)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.37%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (45)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.71%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (43)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (37)
8.28%

Watched Threads