Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently applied to do some school experience at some local schools to allow me to get some experience to put on my CV and also my PGCE application when I apply.

I was just wondering what kind of things to expect from this experience? Do you get involved with any aspect of the teaching or is it just observational experience?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nottreece)
    I have recently applied to do some school experience at some local schools to allow me to get some experience to put on my CV and also my PGCE application when I apply.

I was just wondering what kind of things to expect from this experience? Do you get involved with any aspect of the teaching or is it just observational experience?

Thank you in advance!
    I stuck my hand up for a few questions the pupils wouldn't answer

The advice I received from the school was to interact with the kids as much as possible, which I interpreted as meaning I should talk to them while they were doing their individual and group work but not distract while the teacher was presenting to the class.
    They also gave me observation cards to fill out, just for my own use - mostly I recorded the way the teacher divided the lesson time up and any behaviour management I saw the teacher doing.

As far as I can tell the teachers seemed happy enough with me - some of them gave me tasks like keeping an eye on a boisterous table.

Did see some observers who just sat at the back writing notes though. :unsure:

Take any guidance from the school about what's expected, and talk to the teacher you're observing.

ReputationRep:
    That's great!

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nottreece)
    I have recently applied to do some school experience at some local schools to allow me to get some experience to put on my CV and also my PGCE application when I apply.I was just wondering what kind of things to expect from this experience? Do you get involved with any aspect of the teaching or is it just observational experience?Thank you in advance!
    Ask the class teacher to let you know if there is anything they would like you to do. Usually an extra pair of hands is always welcomed, so they will likely ask you to work with specific children but, if not, go around the class and check that all the children are getting on well with the work. Buy a small exercise book/notebook and keep brief notes regarding what the teacher did during the lesson and anything else that you thought was particularly good, like their approach to behaviour management, so that you can use these ideas when you are one day teaching your own lessons! Also, keep track of everything that you do so that you can discuss this in your PGCE application.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help. I am just hoping that I manage to get some experience as I have emailed schools and I have had to fill out application forms in order to get experience!

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what experience you're applying for. This term is pretty stressful in schools as it's exam season, so if you don't get a response, don't be surprised.

If you're doing a 2 week+ voluntary placement you would pre-discuss with the Head of Department what you'd like to achieve from the experience and work around it, if you want to lead a session it could be arranged. Anything from just observing (which soon gets boring) to leading small groups, to co-teaching - what do you want?

If you apply for a TA job, expect to be working alongside SEN or EAL children and supporting them on a 1-1 basis.

If you apply for a (unqualified) Cover Teacher role through an agency, you will be going to different schools on a day-to-day basis, delivering present work to students across the curriculum and years. daily pay.

If you apply to be a Cover Supervisor, you will be employed by the school and will deliver lessons in the absence of a normal class teacher. Salary based

with the last 2, you are alone in the class acting as the teacher and have full power of a teacher ie, behaviour management, safeguarding, supporting them with pastoral needs, making sure they're doing the work etc.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.