The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redbluedex
My brother committed suicide, and the only people who were angry were his newer friends who weren't aware of the severe depression he had at the time and for years before, so I think there's a link there. I thought of it more as losing him to an illness...I didn't think of the suicide as something that he did, but as something his depression made him do, so nothing to be angry about. And I guess that wasn't the case for his friends who were completely shocked by his suicide, so some of them were angry because he didn't tell them.

So sorry for your loss. I hope you're feeling well now. :smile:

Yeah, it wasn't your brother's fault or anyone else's - it was depression. So sad to hear people succumb to the dark callings of depression...
Original post by BWV1007
So sorry for your loss. I hope you're feeling well now. :smile:

Yeah, it wasn't your brother's fault or anyone else's - it was depression. So sad to hear people succumb to the dark callings of depression...

Thanks for your kind words. I'm doing as well as I can. Yes, it's a tragedy. He was in a support group and sadly many of the teens in it have gone the same way...what an awful and misunderstood illness taking so many young lives.
Original post by fire_and_ice
It's a selfish, cowardly and greedy escape.

I'm sure somebody who's on the verge appreciates your sensitive appraisal of their predicament.
I found my mum's suicide notes when I was around 10, and I just remember the strong sense of fear that I've not experienced at other times, and the numbness that followed. Fortunately she pulled through.
I myself had suicidal thoughts for a year or two when I was around 13. So I don't think I'd be angry at all. I would be deeply devastated by the loss, and would probably blame myself to some extent that I failed to convey the person that the life can get better.

Spoiler

I can't say for sure because it has never happened to me (and I hope that it never does). In all honesty though, I don't think that I could be angry with someone who chose to take their own life. If anything I would just be very very sad that they weren't able to get the help and support that they needed. What right would I have to be blaming someone in that regard? It's their life and their choice, not mine.
Honestly, It's a controversial opinion but I would just think they were cowards.
Reply 46
Original post by TercioOfParma
Honestly, It's a controversial opinion but I would just think they were cowards.

What makes you think that? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deyesy
What makes you think that? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It shows that they are afraid enough of life that they would rather have nothingness than to slog through until the good times come.
It shows that they are afraid enough of life that they would rather have nothingness than to slog through until the good times come.

Mods plz bring back negs
Original post by BWV1007
Mods plz bring back negs

Why do you disagree? I am curious.
Reply 50
It's happened twice to me, so far.

It just made me feel incredibly sad and useless. Not angry though. I wish those people hadn't made that choice and I wish they hadn't done what they did to their families and I wish they'd waited to see how their lives panned out, but I also know that they were really, really unhappy with the world they lived in and couldn't see the people around them who loved them and wanted them to stay until things improved.

I hope more than anything it never happens again to someone I know but I don't think anger will ever be my reaction.
Reply 51

But if you're ever feeling that way; you don't see 'good times' - you just see bad times and the only plausible way you see out is by suicide. It doesn't mean you're afraid of life.
One of my best friends committed suicide last year and the main emotions I felt after the initial shock/numbness dissipated was anger and sadness. Having said that, I still feel angry, but not at her, at the psych. unit she was supposed to be safe in/the people in charge of her care.
Original post by Deyesy
But if you're ever feeling that way; you don't see 'good times' - you just see bad times and the only plausible way you see out is by suicide. It doesn't mean you're afraid of life.

I have felt that way before, I just remembered that I survive not for myself, but for those around me who depend on me. There is a difference between committing suicide and having thoughts.
Reply 54
I have felt that way before, I just remembered that I survive not for myself, but for those around me who depend on me. There is a difference between committing suicide and having thoughts.

There's most definitely a difference between attempting suicide and having suicidal ideations. I'm surprised you see it as cowardly given you've been in that position yourself though
Original post by Deyesy
There's most definitely a difference between attempting suicide and having suicidal ideations. I'm surprised you see it as cowardly given you've been in that position yourself though

I said commiting suicide was cowardly, not the thought itself.
Reply 56
I said commiting suicide was cowardly, not the thought itself.

So the thoughts themselves aren't cowardly but the act is?
Definitely not angry i think its quite an alien reaction for me for a suicide. Just sad for the suffering they must have gone through and the fact you werent able to help them. It changes a lot of peoples lives. Not sure what people would get angry about.
Original post by Deyesy
So the thoughts themselves aren't cowardly but the act is?

Yes
Reply 59
Yes

But surely having had those thoughts yourself; you must know how difficult it is to see good times when you're in that place mentally?

Quick Reply

Latest