Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in year 12 and I started off in September doing 4 AS levels but late last year I was finding chemistry really difficult and I decided to drop it as my other subjects started to began affected.
    I'm doing well in my other subjects: history, religious studies and Maths and predicted AAA for my AS levels
    However, I'm worried that only doing 3 AS levels meant that I will be at a disadvantage to other people who did 4. I really want to study history at either Warwick , UCL or LSE which is highly competitive and so was wondering if anyone that had done 3 AS levels went into a good uni and if doing 3 put them at a disadvantage
    I'm also going to do an EPQ as well this year if that helps as well
    Thank you
    Izzy

ReputationRep:
    It will to a certain extent as you don't get those extra UCAS points, but as long as you do well enough across AS and A2, you'll get enough UCAS points for the course.

ReputationRep:
    In general, I don't think you will be at a significant disadvantage, but you may have problems for certain courses at specific universities. The best thing to do is email the universities you're interested in and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 15076848)
    Hi,
    I'm in year 12 and I started off in September doing 4 AS levels but late last year I was finding chemistry really difficult and I decided to drop it as my other subjects started to began affected.
    I'm doing well in my other subjects: history, religious studies and Maths and predicted AAA for my AS levels
    However, I'm worried that only doing 3 AS levels meant that I will be at a disadvantage to other people who did 4. I really want to study history at either Warwick , UCL or LSE which is highly competitive and so was wondering if anyone that had done 3 AS levels went into a good uni and if doing 3 put them at a disadvantage
    I'm also going to do an EPQ as well this year if that helps as well
    Thank you
    Izzy
    UCL used to require a fourth pass at AS, but have dropped that requirement. No other university that I know of requires any more than three AS/A-levels.

While four excellent A-levels might indicate that an applicant would be an equally excellent student, most unis want quality over quantity. This includes Oxford and Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.