The Student Room Group

Test cancelled and I rebooked! I dont want to fail. Never changed to G5. New car exp?

So I was supposed to have my test on the 1st April but I received an email saying the there was "a problem at the test centre". Apparently by instructor for the test must have been ill or something. They rebooked it for today I think as a ridiculous time at 7:25 am!! I phoned them up and they were able to get a 12;30 on the 10th May. It can be seen as a blessing in disguise as I finish Uni w/deadlines on the 7th May so I have a few days to relax before the test!

..But I dont want to fail as its coming up to Summer and the rebooking will be months. Its at Hendon and the time of the test seems ok, during lunch so hopefully wont be tooo busy. But a few things:

1)Is it good to memorize every show me tell me question? Start now to revise them?

2) I have not been up to gear 5 before, only 4. When the car was parked, I just tested what it was like to go to g4>5 then g5>4. I could not change it, even when it was parked still! It didnt lock well. I am scared he will take me on a dual carriageway, and if he does, I will not go to g5 as I have never done it before and you are going so fast, and trying to think, 1 hand on wheel, changing ! :frown:

3) I was supposed to practice some manoeuvres in my dads manual car in the carpark but I just couldn't. I did not feel comfortable in it, it was almost a new experience. All I could do was drive across to another parking space and then he drove us home. Whats it like driving in a new car when you buy one? Can you test drive it on an empty road? Do you get used to it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mumford & Dragons
So I was supposed to have my test on the 1st April but I received an email saying the there was "a problem at the test centre". Apparently by instructor for the test must have been ill or something. They rebooked it for today I think as a ridiculous time at 7:25 am!! I phoned them up and they were able to get a 12;30 on the 10th May. It can be seen as a blessing in disguise as I finish Uni w/deadlines on the 7th May so I have a few days to relax before the test!

..But I dont want to fail as its coming up to Summer and the rebooking will be months. Its at Hendon and the time of the test seems ok, during lunch so hopefully wont be tooo busy. But a few things:

1)Is it good to memorize every show me tell me question? Start now to revise them?

2) I have not been up to gear 5 before, only 4. When the car was parked, I just tested what it was like to go to g4>5 then g5>4. I could not change it, even when it was parked still! It didnt lock well. I am scared he will take me on a dual carriageway, and if he does, I will not go to g5 as I have never done it before and you are going so fast, and trying to think, 1 hand on wheel, changing ! :frown:

3) I was supposed to practice some manoeuvres in my dads manual car in the carpark but I just couldn't. I did not feel comfortable in it, it was almost a new experience. All I could do was drive across to another parking space and then he drove us home. Whats it like driving in a new car when you buy one? Can you test drive it on an empty road? Do you get used to it?

Why are you taking the test if you haven't driven in gear 5? If your test goes on a dual carriageway and you drive in 4th gear I'm pretty sure you'll fail.
You are not test ready.
Reply 3
Show me tell me: No. You should either know or be able to work out everything. And I don't think you can fail on the SMTM (possibly get a minor for each?)

But you need lots more driving practice. Lots and lots. How were you unable to go into 5th gear? Are you able to reverse?

I'm inclined to agree with the other poster and say you're test ready (without any doubt at this stage). Maybe if you went out driving every day until the test.
I will have about 2-3 more lessons before the test. I feel confident enough on the road, changing gears etc. Just need to practice manoeuvres a bit more. I was always on the left side of the dual carriageway so have never needed to go to g5 though. And in terms of reversing, I reverse for 2 of the manoeuvres.
(edited 8 years ago)
I will have about 2-3 more lessons before the test. I feel confident enough on the road, changing gears etc. Just need to practice manoeuvres a bit more. I was always on the left side of the dual carriageway so have never needed to go to g5 though. And in terms of reversing, I reverse for 2 of the manoeuvres.

What speed were you driving at if you were only in 4th gear?
Original post by milliemogs
What speed were you driving at if you were only in 4th gear?

just under 50..I think?
just under 50..I think?

So well below the speed limit, you'll get an infraction for that.
Reply 8
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
So well below the speed limit, you'll get an infraction for that.

And incorrect usage of gears, another. You should be in 5th at that speed.
just under 50..I think?

Driving under 50 on a dual carriageway is a hazard to other drivers, your instructor should have you driving at 70, you are not ready to be driving on your own if you've never driven over 50mph.
Original post by milliemogs
Driving under 50 on a dual carriageway is a hazard to other drivers, your instructor should have you driving at 70, you are not ready to be driving on your own if you've never driven over 50mph.

Ah ok, I will mention that to him
Reply 11
What speed are learners allowed to do in England ? Here in Northern Ireland we are restricted to 45mph and have to display an R plate for a year
Original post by cat2280
What speed are learners allowed to do in England ? Here in Northern Ireland we are restricted to 45mph and have to display an R plate for a year

The same speed everyone else is. There isn't a speed limit just for learners.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by cat2280

Learners can't go on motorways (but they have the same speed limit as dual carriageways). No speed restrictions. You can choose to display a P plate after you've passed, but it's not a requirement.
It depends on the dual carriageway also. The one near my test centre has a speed limit of 40mph! Op do you know what the speed limit of the dual carriageway is that you have been driving on?
Original post by JoeTSR
Show me tell me: No. You should either know or be able to work out everything. And I don't think you can fail on the SMTM (possibly get a minor for each?)

It will be just one minor if you get one or both of the SMTM questions wrong.

And to the OP - if there is any chance you can get dual carriage ways with 50+ speed limits, then you'll need to drive in 5th gear and could fail the test simply on this factor if you don't and it was safe to do so.

You should practice more before your test, especially with 5th gear and faster roads.

I guess if you happen to be somewhere where none of the test routes take in roads where you can safely reach 50mph, then you technically wouldn't need to. But that would be bad instructing if he totally missed out something so important and I'd find it highly unlikely there would be a test centre which never had any such roads it could use.
Reply 16
Original post by Bubble_10
It depends on the dual carriageway also. The one near my test centre has a speed limit of 40mph! Op do you know what the speed limit of the dual carriageway is that you have been driving on?

I think that's hoping a bit much - even 40 is iffy, I'd probably be in 5th for that (you could maybe get away with 4th, but I wouldn't be surprised if the examiner asked to change up) - you're not going to get a 30mph dual carriageway, and in a 50 you should definitely be in 5th. Plus they normally make you drive it for ~10m.
You shouldn't be thinking about taking your test if you've never even done 50mph.
Edit: well done on the pass!
(edited 7 years ago)
It might be worth rebooking your test for a later date.

In the end, it's not just about getting through your test. It's about being a safe and competent driver to drive alone. And it doesn't sound like you're quite there yet.

Who was it that suggested that you put in for test when you've yet to master 5th gear and manoeuvres?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending