Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,I have 3 days (yeah I left it pretty late) left to hand in my work experience data at sixth form and I'm completely out of ideas. I'm looking at studying Modern Languages (French & Spanish for what it's worth) at uni next year then going into either translation, teaching English as a foreign language or international relations.Anyone got any ideas of where I could email/apply? So far I've tried embassies and translation companies, but because I live in Cumbria they've all turned me down since I'm so far away. Cheers!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by megan.hogg99)
    Hi all,I have 3 days (yeah I left it pretty late) left to hand in my work experience data at sixth form and I'm completely out of ideas. I'm looking at studying Modern Languages (French & Spanish for what it's worth) at uni next year then going into either translation, teaching English as a foreign language or international relations.Anyone got any ideas of where I could email/apply? So far I've tried embassies and translation companies, but because I live in Cumbria they've all turned me down since I'm so far away. Cheers!!
    How about citizen advice bureau, they might have translators? Or try local english as a second language schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.hogg99)
    Don't worry about making your experience directly related to languages because work experience is only vital for vocational subjects like Nursing and Medicine. As long as you show you're passionate, ça suffira. Fais quelquechose qui te fera plaisir, after all anything that involves talking to someone can be used to highlight your "communication skills" which are useful for a language degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    How about citizen advice bureau, they might have translators? Or try local english as a second language schools.
    I'll try citizen's advice thanks, though due to the distinct lack of immigration in my area there's no english as a second language schools :P

(Original post by rileystringer1)
    Don't worry about making your experience directly related to languages because work experience is only vital for vocational subjects like Nursing and Medicine. As long as you show you're passionate, ça suffira. Fais quelquechose qui te fera plaisir, after all anything that involves talking to someone can be used to highlight your "communication skills" which are useful for a language degree.
    True, true. Doesn't help that there's not much I enjoy in my area though, there's a reason I'm studying languages to get out of the countryside ah well I need to find something to satisfy sixth form, I'll keep looking

ReputationRep:
    Megan I am in a similar situation.. what did you do for your work experience in the end??

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.