Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Used 2 years of my Student loan - What are my options? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys,

    I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this or knew anything to help shed some light on the situation.

    Long story short - a few years ago I was sort of forced into it and I went to uni for the first time and hated the course and dropped out after 3 months. I then applied to a different uni for a course I loved - being an immature idiot I wasted my time trying to balance a part time job and ended up falling behind on the work and dropped out again a few months later.

    I am now older and working full time but I am incredibly unsatisfied and for the first time in my life I feel I am finally ready and have the genuine urge to study. I will need a degree to work in the field I intend to.

    Does anybody know what my options are here? I understand that I have wasted 2 years of finance already which means I will need to pay upfront for the next bachelors degree I apply for (which means saving up for awhile) but what are my other options? In terms of Part-Time degree study (for example a 4 year part-time course at Birkbeck or a 6 year Open Uni degree) I have been deliberating over this for a long time, somewhat panicking over it (the thought of having to save up for 9k for the first year is a bit daunting!)

    Thanks guys!
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    The OU are cheaper than brick unis, in general. I can't remember off the top of my head what they charge now. But you pay by module. They also have their budgeting account, meaning they pay your fees and you can then pay this back in installments.

    You can do up to 120 credits (which is the same as 1 full year) per year at the OU.
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.