Information about wanting to do medicine Watch

This discussion is closed.
...GiNuWiNe...
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey guys i urgently need some help, because ive been looking at prospectuses from universities and it always says that i need grade B minimum in english and maths, but i got C in both....im really scared nw...can anyway tell me if even if i get teh required A-level grades, if that will affect my chance of getting into uni to do medicine?
gangrene
Report 14 years ago
it depends on what uni really.....if you're looking at imperial/ucl/kcl to do med then i think you basically need to get all As
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangrene)
it depends on what uni really.....if you're looking at imperial/ucl/kcl to do med then i think you basically need to get all As
the lowest i know anyone to get for a medicine offer is ABB

lou xxx
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
the lowest i know anyone to get for a medicine offer is ABB

lou xxx
Yeh, except international students. A few of my friends have BBB offers, though it is quite rare.
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey, um, i think he's on about GCSE grades...

lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
hey, um, i think he's on about GCSE grades...

he is, but then he asked what A level grades are needed

lou xxx
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
he is, but then he asked what A level grades are needed

lou xxx
true.. but without the minimum GCSE requirements A2s won't matter.

re-take your GCSEs?

if the uni specify minimum grades for GCSE english & maths & you don't have them, unless you have extremely mitigating circumstances or As in those subjects at A2 then they'd just bin your application i would think..so yes, it would fairly severly affect your chances!
...GiNuWiNe...
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
but is any1 doing medicine at any uni? if so, wat were the requirements? i dnt wanna retake GCSEs cos sum uni's dnt accept it.? :confused:
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ...GiNuWiNe...)
but is any1 doing medicine at any uni? if so, wat were the requirements? i dnt wanna retake GCSEs cos sum uni's dnt accept it.? :confused:
look on the UCAS website for typical requirements- http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/CB0Op34sAS3RJME4cdj9BU2GV5NNE-UGJt/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.where Next?query=427&word=MEDICINE&sin gle=Y
click on one of the orange links,
then 'entry requirements'
then 'english, welsh and northern irish framework qualifications' and you will see 3 grades... they're what you need.

lou xxx
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes...i'm doing medicine.. :rolleyes:

but you said you'd checked prospectuses, so they'd be the best place to tell you the official 'requirements' for GCSEs rather than anecdotal evidence of people who applied a few years back.

if you have mitigating circumstances, there are access to medicine courses etc. but if you think you can get the AAB at A2 level you'd need, then surely you could retake Maths & English GCSEs to get them up to a B?
p8224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ...GiNuWiNe)
i need grade B minimum in english and maths, but i got C in both....im really scared nw...can anyway tell me if even if i get teh required A-level grades, if that will affect my chance of getting into uni to do medicine?
err...yes i think so. i believe ALL requirements have to be met. why dont you call the unis and ask them if they allow resits? i think you should resit your GCSE maths and english anyhow.....??
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes, you will need to meet the minimum requirements (otherwise there's no point having any!!!!).

Some medschools require a minimum number of As too (Notts certainly does - it was 6 or 7 when I applied)

Look at the prospectuses.
checkthisout
Report 14 years ago
Yes of course cos theyre the best, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
gangrene
Report 14 years ago
do you have something against me?

in london, YES they are the best.

they have good reputations overseas too. most of my friends want to be in the city (ucl, kcl, etc...) even if they got into top med schools e.g. glasgow or cardiff
checkthisout
Report 14 years ago

they have good reputations overseas too. most of my friends want to be in the city (ucl, kcl, etc...) even if they got into top med schools e.g. glasgow or cardiff
Hmm shows how much you know then :rolleyes:
Then again you are doing war studies so what do you xpect?!
gangrene
Report 14 years ago
i'm from hong kong, people would want to go to city schools naturally!!!

i see you're a very amusing person
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I have to say, I too think you are wrong here

All medical schools in the UK are of a suffiently high standard to merit being called excellent. All of the med schools are only parted by a few percent in any of the benchmarking tables. As a result the tables flucuate wildly from year to year, because there is so little in it. What may come top in Table X in 2004, may come 10th in the same table the following year, dispite not becoming any 'worse'. when you look at the difference between the top 10, you see that there's less than 0.5% in it!

Ps UCL and KCL (GKT) are not in The City
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)

Ps UCL and KCL (GKT) are not in The City
But they are in the city (no capitals)?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But they are in the city (no capitals)?
define the city :confused: using that you could argue that SGHMS is in the city. 'the city' doesn't have any definite boundarys outsides of those set by the Greater London boundary (and The City is within this). This doesn't mean that half of Herts, Kent, Essex, etc are in the city...
gangrene
Report 14 years ago
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads