The Student Room Group

UCL Global Health vs LSHTM Public Health

Hey all. I received offers from both UCL for the MSc Global Health and Development program and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for their MSc Public Health program.

I need insight ASAP! Which would you choose? Which is the better school? Anyone else going into either of these programs? Such a tough choice, help!
Reply 1
Original post by sahas1234
Hey all. I received offers from both UCL for the MSc Global Health and Development program and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for their MSc Public Health program.

I need insight ASAP! Which would you choose? Which is the better school? Anyone else going into either of these programs? Such a tough choice, help!

Both schools have excellent reputations. I think you should consider 1) course content (interest) and 2) Career ambitions.

If you were considering going into research/academia in public health/epidemiology etc then perhaps LSHTM may have a slight edge. If you wanted to go into a graduate job then UCL has more of a 'global' reputation and is more known by employers.
If you want to work in public or global health then you should choose LSHTM, no question. It is one of the best - if not the best - places for global and public health, having in essence started the field of academic public health here in the UK. The researchers and staff at LSHTM are all key figures in global health.

Conflict of interest: I will be studying at LSHTM next year for a MSc.
I'd have to agree with Slide100 - it depends on what it is you're after and which course appeals to you the most.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zeusthepug
I'd have to agree with Slide100 - it depends on what it is you're after and which course appeals to you the most.

I personally chose the Imperial MPH because it has a very quantitative influence compared to other courses and that's something that appeals to me. They also have a WHO collaboration centre which I feel I would make good use of.

Basically, have a read through all of the prospectus' and links the universities offer you and which suits best to your needs.

Best of luck OP!

I agree with you, the quantitative approach is super important to me and vital to have skill in going into the field. I've found that LSHTM focuses more on that aspect than the program at UCL does. I'm still weighing them both, though. Thanks so much! Best of luck at Imperial :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by spacepirate-James
If you want to work in public or global health then you should choose LSHTM, no question. It is one of the best - if not the best - places for global and public health, having in essence started the field of academic public health here in the UK. The researchers and staff at LSHTM are all key figures in global health.

Conflict of interest: I will be studying at LSHTM next year for a MSc.

Yeah, I'm surely having a hard time beating the fact that the entire school specializes in the field and was actually ranked #3 in the world for Pub Health under Harvard and J Hopkins! When are you beginning your MSc, this coming fall or next fall? Which program? Congrats!
Reply 6
Original post by Slide100
Both schools have excellent reputations. I think you should consider 1) course content (interest) and 2) Career ambitions.

If you were considering going into research/academia in public health/epidemiology etc then perhaps LSHTM may have a slight edge. If you wanted to go into a graduate job then UCL has more of a 'global' reputation and is more known by employers.

Thanks for your insight! In considering a graduate job, I was actually thinking that having a solid public health degree would be a bit more helpful than the MSc in Global Health since LSHTM has such a multidisciplinary approach...some of the modules for the UCL course look more exciting to me overall but I'm wondering if it lacks the practicality (Stats, Epidemiological focus) that the course at London School has and that is valued by employers. I recently connected with someone who completed the MSc course at UCL who is still looking for a job because many positions want to see more quantitative work.

Its a tough choice, but I think either one could be a good set up for jobs afterward...
Reply 7
Thanks for your insight! In considering a graduate job, I was actually thinking that having a solid public health degree would be a bit more helpful than the MSc in Global Health since LSHTM has such a multidisciplinary approach...some of the modules for the UCL course look more exciting to me overall but I'm wondering if it lacks the practicality (Stats, Epidemiological focus) that the course at London School has and that is valued by employers. I recently connected with someone who completed the MSc course at UCL who is still looking for a job because many positions want to see more quantitative work.

Its a tough choice, but I think either one could be a good set up for jobs afterward...

Sounds as though you are rooting a bit harder for LSHTM, you should go with your gut! Good Luck :smile:

I've just seen this! I've been studying global health this year at UCL, and can say that the teaching is fantastic. The staff are all at the top of their field, and very supportive. We often have speakers from the LSHTM too, and UCL do collaborate with them. I would say that the main thing is to look at what each course offers you, and which modules/teaching style you'd prefer. I wouldn't think your opportunities would be limited by choosing one over another though, although LSHTM tends to have the highest level of expertise.
Reply 9
Original post by antonyzac
I've just seen this! I've been studying global health this year at UCL, and can say that the teaching is fantastic. The staff are all at the top of their field, and very supportive. We often have speakers from the LSHTM too, and UCL do collaborate with them. I would say that the main thing is to look at what each course offers you, and which modules/teaching style you'd prefer. I wouldn't think your opportunities would be limited by choosing one over another though, although LSHTM tends to have the highest level of expertise.

Thanks so much for replying!! I'm glad you're enjoying your time at UCL so far. I'd heard that the two schools collaborate, which is awesome. I agree on the level of expertise at LSHTM, which is why I ultimately think I'm going to go with the public health program there! Best of luck with the rest of your year at UCL :smile:
Hey :smile: since you applied for the MSc Global Health and Development at UCL, may I know how long did it take for you to get an offer? And do you mind sharing what your bachelor's degree was?

Thanks so much for replying!! I'm glad you're enjoying your time at UCL so far. I'd heard that the two schools collaborate, which is awesome. I agree on the level of expertise at LSHTM, which is why I ultimately think I'm going to go with the public health program there! Best of luck with the rest of your year at UCL :smile:
congratulations bro....really happy for you. Please do u care to share your email, need to ask you some few questions. Thank you in anticipation.
Hey sahas, how did you do it. I applied to LSHTM but was unsuccessful. Kindly help me
Reply 13
Original post by anonymousDR
Hey :smile: since you applied for the MSc Global Health and Development at UCL, may I know how long did it take for you to get an offer? And do you mind sharing what your bachelor's degree was?

Hey! Sorry for the delay. My bachelors degree was in International Politics & World Affairs (IR).

It took me quite a while to hear from UCL for the MSc Global Health and Development...I'd say about 4 months (applied in November and got the offer in Feb) ..patience is a must for sure. Hope this helps!
Reply 14
Original post by bermedaylay
Hey sahas, how did you do it. I applied to LSHTM but was unsuccessful. Kindly help me

Thank you for the congrats! Regarding your questions, I'll send you a message.

P.S. I'm a lady, not a guy :smile:
Reply 15
Hi, I was unsuccessful this year for the LSHTM Public Health course as they said I need two years professional experience to be considered. I am intrigued to know what experience has so I know what sort of roles I can I apply for this year in preparation for my future masters application. Thank you, this would be really appreciated.
Reply 16
Original post by Elkfiore
Hi, I was unsuccessful this year for the LSHTM Public Health course as they said I need two years professional experience to be considered. I am intrigued to know what experience has so I know what sort of roles I can I apply for this year in preparation for my future masters application. Thank you, this would be really appreciated.

Hi there, it is unfortunate to hear that you were not accepted this time around, but amazing to see that you're not going to give up and are willing to do what it takes to make for a stronger application.

For experience, I worked for 2 years in a rural environment on a public health program through a US government volunteer program. That is just an example of the type of programs that would give great field experience and that the school is very receptive. Look to see which initiative you could be a part of in any public health capacity. It doesn't have to only be paid work experience.

If you want more details about what I did, feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to talk to you more about it. Best of luck!

Hey! I was just wondering how long it took for you to hear from UCL and LSHTM and were you interviewed for the UCL MSc?
@sahas1234ing and I wish to pursue phd and work with global institutions so I chose UCL I am a clinician (dental) and my experience found the root cause of poor health as economy and health equity to be a moan or focus Hence good luck folks 😊😊😊 and sahas I would love to connect with u @sahas1234

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending