Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can you thicken an extremely uncomfortable mattress? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Was greeted with an old mattress which is pretty worn when I moved into my flat not too long ago. It's not very comfortable so want to know how to resolve this without forking out on a new mattress. I've thought about buying a mattress topper which just looks like a thick piece of cloth really. I've seen one which is 1.5cm and am unsure if this will make much difference until I see it in person. What do you think? Has anyone bought one? Probably going to go buy one on Sunday. I've been lying on a folded thin fleece blanket to help slightly but it's not great. Anyone had similar problems? Any help would be great. Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried flipping the mattress?

Other than getting a topper, putting duvets over it or buying a new one there isn't really anything you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked your landlord to replace it? Sometimes they will.

If not then I'd suggest buying a thick duvet and putting it under your sheet - it basically acts as a mattress topper but is cheaper. If you want to then you could buy an actual mattress topper.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    get a life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Have you tried flipping the mattress?

Other than getting a topper, putting duvets over it or buying a new one there isn't really anything you can do.
    Yeah I flipped it but it's still not nice to sleep on. Yeah I was thinking of buying another duvet to sleep on top of as they are thick. Thanks for your reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    Have you asked your landlord to replace it? Sometimes they will.

If not then I'd suggest buying a thick duvet and putting it under your sheet - it basically acts as a mattress topper but is cheaper. If you want to then you could buy an actual mattress topper.
    Yeah, people who were there on move-in day (Like the lady who did my check-in, and a maintenance guy) had to phone the landlord for other things, so they asked him about the mattress but apparently it's not him that provides the mattress as they are a "personal" thing. Sounds like a load of BS to me but there we are lol. When I viewed the flat the bed was not there but instead there was a sofa bed and I was told by the estate agent that the person living here had their mattress and bed in storage and they would be there when I move in (or something to that effect) Thanks for your reply x

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it, I'm lying on top of my duvet now and it's uncomfortable so if I did buy another one and lie on it, it wouldn't be much different. Noooooo! x

ReputationRep:
    The landlord's said he's going to order me a new one 😊
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.