Turn on thread page Beta

Want to get a well paid job? Become a maths teacher... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...249113,00.html

According to this article in The Guardian, maths teachers are going to be paid a lot more to help encourge more students into teaching the subject, which is undergoing a big shortage of qualified teachers at the moment.

Does this new announcement make teaching the subject more appealing to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...249113,00.html

According to this article in The Guardian, maths teachers are going to be paid a lot more to help encourge more students into teaching the subject, which is undergoing a big shortage of qualified teachers at the moment.

Does this new announcement make teaching the subject more appealing to you?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of teaching, but it doesn't sound very challenging or interesting. It would merely be a comfortable job where I'd probably fit in. Wouldn't push me or encourage me to learn more about myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I like the idea of teaching, but it doesn't sound very challenging or interesting. It would merely be a comfortable job where I'd probably fit in. Wouldn't push me or encourage me to learn more about myself.
    but maths doesnt teach you more about yourself.

i dont like the idea of teaching but it has just become a little bit more appealing

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

ReputationRep:
    They need to make maths more sexy to attract young people.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind teaching it at secondary level, if there were sixth form students taking A'Level Maths and FM. Then I could spice things up by doing advanced things with the bright ones

ReputationRep:
    Teaching = Backup plan. If all else fails TEACH. - That should be the motto!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    Teaching = Backup plan. If all else fails TEACH. - That should be the motto!
    Heh, well there are some people who deliberately go into it you know! I've had a few very good teachers, and they can genuinely enthuse you about their subject.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing a joint degree in maths and psychology and i would love to teach A level psycholog, but i don't think i would want to teach maths (i don't actually think i could do things like explain methods of working)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i'm doing a joint degree in maths and psychology and i would love to teach A level psycholog, but i don't think i would want to teach maths (i don't actually think i could do things like explain methods of working)

lou xxx
    Well that's what teaching training is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    but maths doesnt teach you more about yourself.

i dont like the idea of teaching but it has just become a little bit more appealing
    Well no but if you've got a maths degree then word is people will be so dazzled that you stuck out it through all the alevels/degree they'll think you're the most intelligent person on earth and give you a job. So if you've got a maths degree you're looking at all these exciting job possibilites where you get to see different places and meet some really cool people, and generally get alot of life experience out of it, why sit in a classroom in middle england trying to get the year 10s to jump through coursework hoops?

ReputationRep:
    Great, except im pants at maths lol

ReputationRep:
    I think I've got a bad attitude about teaching because my mum is one. Her only ever career advice is don't become a teacher. EVER!

ReputationRep:
    Well no but if you've got a maths degree then word is people will be so dazzled that you stuck out it through all the alevels/degree they'll think you're the most intelligent person on earth and give you a job.
    I hope that's the case with physics degrees as well, lol

So if you've got a maths degree you're looking at all these exciting job possibilites where you get to see different places and meet some really cool people, and generally get alot of life experience out of it, why sit in a classroom in middle england trying to get the year 10s to jump through coursework hoops?
    Because you enjoy maths so much you want to inspire other people to it as well? Because it pays well and teaching is a stable job?

ReputationRep:
    Well no but if you've got a maths degree then word is people will be so dazzled that you stuck out it through all the alevels/degree they'll think you're the most intelligent person on earth and give you a job. So if you've got a maths degree you're looking at all these exciting job possibilites where you get to see different places and meet some really cool people, and generally get alot of life experience out of it, why sit in a classroom in middle england trying to get the year 10s to jump through coursework hoops?
    precisely why i dont want to be a teacher.

i know from my secondary school, half the school didnt know, for example, how many degrees in a circle.

i would be bashing my head against the wall if people didnt understand things i find simple...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    No.
    Haha - thankgoodness for lighthearted threads, this one was clearly intended to amuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    I think I've got a bad attitude about teaching because my mum is one. Her only ever career advice is don't become a teacher. EVER!
    Yup, my parents are like that too. Also they're quite depressed sometimes. I feel sorry for them.

I wouldn't touch teaching myself unless they started a scheme where you could do some after/during university just for a short time to pay off your debts... I think they do that in America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Haha - thankgoodness for lighthearted threads, this one was clearly intended to amuse.
    Lighthearted posts, you mean? The 'thread' is the name given to the sequence of posts within the topic I created.

ReputationRep:
    But there are other benefits to be being a teacher in any subject! Firstly, you t least at times will be working with some more advanced stuff with 6th form classes, but also you get the pleasure of teaching someone to love whatever subject you teach.

Theres the added benefits of any school trips you could go on, long holidays where you get paid!! and can do any research/reading at a more advanced level for your subject...and of course you always have a ready made social life with your staff!

I myself want to be a teacher (and I should be qualified enough to teach PPE subjects, maths (GCSE) and things like business studies). I would prefer to work in a private/grammar school - but theres also benefits of working in state comprehensives, such as the pleasure you would get from seeing someone succeed through his/her and your own efforts despite the odds (if it happens to be a bad school etc.)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.