Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've lifted regularly for 2 years. I want a 6 pack before starting my MSc and will go on a 6 month cut to achieve this goal (shorter if I reach my goal earlier).

Will be eating at deficit and lifting 3x a week.

How badly will my strength suffer?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    How long is a piece of string?

Depends on commitment, lifestyle, training programme, exact calorie deficit, strength level, form, attitude, bf% to name but a few parameters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    I've lifted regularly for 2 years. I want a 6 pack before starting my MSc and will go on a 6 month cut to achieve this goal (shorter if I reach my goal earlier).

Will be eating at deficit and lifting 3x a week.

How badly will my strength suffer?
    I'm cutting at the minute and if you do it right it won't affect your strength levels all that much, although as AC said it does depend on several factors.

As you get more aggressive, you may notice more strength loss. It's likely that any loss won't be you getting weaker, but your body struggling to fuel heavy lifts with limited calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    How long is a piece of string?

Depends on commitment, lifestyle, training programme, exact calorie deficit, strength level, form, attitude, bf% to name but a few parameters
    Commitment
    i've commited to 3 month + bulks and 2 month cuts I won't waver for a pack of jaffa cakes i'd only stop if I was seriously worried about strength loss and that would be to eat at maintenance/surplus while training not fried chicken 7x a day.

Training Programme
    What I normally do when cutting a 3 day full body with 20 mins HIIT and eating back calories on the days i train.

Exact calorie deficit
    540 as BF gets lower will reduce this.

BF
    Mid - High teens

Strength/Form
    Intermediate

The question isn't how long will it take me i think 6 months is a very generous time frame considering current BF isn't exactly 25%, the question is how much strength I will lose as I've never cut for half a year before and don't know if this is entirely healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JC.)
    I'm cutting at the minute and if you do it right it won't affect your strength levels all that much, although as AC said it does depend on several factors.

As you get more aggressive, you may notice more strength loss. It's likely that any loss won't be you getting weaker, but your body struggling to fuel heavy lifts with limited calories.
    as I stated earlier only 2 months into cuts prior to this I felt strength loss, I expect muscle loss with a cut just wondering how much I would lose by subjecting myself to a deficit for 6 months. Or if i'm just being nuts by doing this :P.

Also from a financial standpoint cutting is alot cheaper, as i'm saving for my MSc it seems perfect get six pack + save, I just don't know how badly it would affect me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.