The Student Room Group

First Period?

Warning: This may be tmi

Ok, so, i'm a 12 year old girl who'll be 13 in june. Anyway, yesterday, before i went to bed, i went to the toilet, as always, and when i wiped around my vagina (sorry if tmi), there was some red liquid on the toilet paper. I gently wiped again, and there we have it, more red! There was actually quite a bit. Anyway, all week i have notcied tiny tiny drops, or glimmers, of pink in my discharge. I havn't had any for a couple days. When i wiped today, there was nothing but a smear of brown (yes, i did wipe my vag, not round the corner) and i've been told this is old blood? what does this mean?
You've started your period of course.

Brown...that's just dried blood.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Warning: This may be tmi

Ok, so, i'm a 12 year old girl who'll be 13 in june. Anyway, yesterday, before i went to bed, i went to the toilet, as always, and when i wiped around my vagina (sorry if tmi), there was some red liquid on the toilet paper. I gently wiped again, and there we have it, more red! There was actually quite a bit. Anyway, all week i have notcied tiny tiny drops, or glimmers, of pink in my discharge. I havn't had any for a couple days. When i wiped today, there was nothing but a smear of brown (yes, i did wipe my vag, not round the corner) and i've been told this is old blood? what does this mean?

What you're experiencing is spotting. Lighter red is cos it's mixed with normal white discharge and the brown is just older blood that discoloured before getting all the way out (totally normal). You may also find that the blood has different consistencies and may be sticky. That's just a bit of clotting and is also normal. You'll usually experience darker and thicker blood with slower flow (usually at the start and end of periods) and it can happen a few days before and after periods.
Spotting is normal before a period or after one and can be normal other times if you are on certian medications like the contraceptive pill. For you this will be indicating that your periods will be starting around now. Your first few periods can be a little abnormal since your body is just starting to get used to the change. You may find it takes a bit longer to start or you have a faster or slower flow than normal. They may also be a little irregular and not every month exactly.

I'd keep a pad or two in your bag and be prepared for bleeding, pain and mood swings. You may also find it helpful to have wetwipes, painkillers, a hotwater bottle and some comfort food/ drink. Peppermint tea can be good for cramping pains if you don't want to take painkillers.

Just a little basic period advice since you're new to it any may not know:
tampons can be used before you've lost your virginity but will probably be a bit confusing or possibly painful so you may want to avoid them. They should also be used only for a couple of hours (or you can get toxic shock syndrome) and only when you have a proper flow (or it can hurt). If you get feverish or sick feeling on your period (especially if you are using tampons) tell a dr to be sure it is't toxic shock from old blood. It's unlikely to happen but it's something you sould know about cos it can be very serious if it does happen.
Pain in your stomach/ pelvis, back, breasts and head may happen. Painkillers and heat pads/ a bath will help. You shouldn't be in so much pain that you can't function so if that happens check in with a dr to be safe.
Scented pads can cause irritation and you may want some wet wipes to help get rid or any dry blood that may get stuck on you.
They can start suddenly or slowly and both are normal. They can last up to about a week and you can have spotting either side. You may also get breaks in the flow so you may want panty liners or to keep a pad on to be safe if you're worried about staining your pants.

Anyway what you're experiencing is totally normal and just means you're starting your period. You'll settle into it later and know more what to expect.

Quick Reply

Latest