The Student Room Group

How to Revise for GCSE media studies AQA science fiction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTown
Have you got the pastpapers or the markscheme. It would be really useful. Legit have no idea what to write because I have not seen any examples or model answers.

Yeah sure! I'll pm you because it won't let me insert on here:smile:
Original post by Rajive
But all sci fi movies have the same codes and conventions anyway.

But ask yourself how do they attract their target audience? If all movies use the same codes and convention then how would they target specific demograhics. If all sci-fi movies are general then the same snergies would be used and so on. The codes and conventions are only there to establish the genre, the directors of the movie enhance them to make sure they are a success and block busters.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you got the pastpapers or the markscheme. It would be really useful. Legit have no idea what to write because I have not seen any examples or model answers.

Now wont let me send on PM hahaha, i'm trying here again - excuse the notes on it.
Original post by Planetes
Okay, so here's the annotated brief - ignore the handwriting in blue I had to steal someone else's :P
Below is the link for the revision guide, sorry the model answers are still pending but this should be enough till I can get those done. It may seem really dumbed down but it just makes sure you understand everything about the exam too. As it's for my school there may be many references to it, I would just ignore them and skip the tips haha.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mbbxvd49hjvg33/Sci%20Fi%20Revision%20Guide.docx?dl=0#

I'll be waiting for the model answer
Thanks haha
Reply 44
[QUOTE=erosesme;65024625]Now wont let me send on PM hahaha, i'm trying here again - excuse the notes on it.

This cannot be a past paper question as the topic for media changes every year...?
Original post by erosesme
Now wont let me send on PM hahaha, i'm trying here again - excuse the notes on it.

Thanks so much :h:
when will the a* sample answers be uploadeD?
Original post by erosesme

What things would you include in the first question? Would you write about your sci-fi film examples and how they meet certain theories?
Guys can you tell me the types of marketing that can be used for the film and the advantages, disadvantages of each.Also, for question 2 own plot, can we use characters like chris pratt
What time does the exam start? Our teacher is so irresponsible that we haven't even been told the exact timings.
Original post by Real_jenn
This cannot be a past paper question as the topic for media changes every year...?

Its from a website that creates past papers for the exam boards. I am aware that they change every year. So i guess its just a practice paper but its still a paper.
What things would you include in the first question? Would you write about your sci-fi film examples and how they meet certain theories?

Yeah I used two different sci fi examples, the hunger games and avatar and first of all i wrote about how the hunger games created suspense. So i wrote how we are questioning as viewers, what will happen next, if the main characters will survive, etc and how this keeps the audience on the edge of their seats. And then I picked out a scene which also created suspense, so I chose where they are picking the tributes to be in the games. Then in avatar I simply wrote about how the fighting created the suspense.
Then I spoke about futuristic and unusual settings in both the films and described them. So for example Avatar uses a whole new world completely, pandora, and the hunger games is set in the future and how every where is split into districts. Then I spoke about mise-en-scene in both films so like how the navi look how theyre blue, the special weapons they have, similarly in the hunger games in that big place with all the weird dressed people (cant remember what its called haha)

I got an A for these things but my teacher said that using media terminology is key, so remember to use theories and mise en scene and codes and conventions and all that jazz.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Planetes
I have an annotated version of a brief for this year with potential questions as well as points for revision and a revision guide with case studies as well as model answers for potential questions etc, does anyone want these?

Yes please :smile:
I'm feeling fairly well prepared, there's not an awful lot you can do, other than as previously stated;
- For the essay question; Have a wide knowledge of sci-fi films you can refer to in your answers, (influential ones, that contribute to the genre). It's not needed to have watched the whole film, but maybe read a synopsis and dip into a few to get an idea, try to think of some points you could make about them. Some examples of films I was told would be useful are;
- 2001 Space Odyssey (1968)
- Blade Runner (1971)
- A.I (2001)
- Interstellar (2015)
- Star wars (1977)
- Planet of the apes (1968)
(I have a long list if anyone wants them let me know).
You will need to mention at least 3 case studies/films in your answer, giving multiple points about each, in a structured form in order to push for them top grades.
Example of points you could make;
Interstellar - Family based Sci-Fi, it takes a while for the film to properly start, and sets the scene for about 60 mins, familiarizing the audience with the family, allowing them to adopt a mental connection, feeling similarities in their own family, and this allows for the audience to feel empathy and become more immersed in the film. (It is useful to use quotes from the films as well if your pushing for that top grade).

A.I - This film really pushes the boundaries of what it means to be human, which is challenged in many Sci-Fi films. The young robot "David", explores what it takes to make him a human, and by the end of the film, it is left to the audience to decide whether his qualities deem himself a human. Through the portrayal of "Gigolo Joe", we see that he sees himself as lifelike, as he existed, and this satisfies him enough. The last words we hear him say are; "I was, I am", suggesting he understands that he existed, so therefore he mattered and always will. This is a key value to life that Spielberg explores, and has had the audience questioning it since. Some people say this very scene has inspired a lot more directors to explore a similar theme. (What it means to be human/alive).

-For the Creative Section, I have been advised that it is likely to be based on a website design, possibly designing a website for a film/film company. If this is the case, I would recommend brainstorming some ideas regarding a website as you don't want to be stuck without any. To push for them higher grades, try to explore creative ideas, possibly an interactive website, or themed/tailored to the genre. E.g. If the question is; Design a website for a family Christmas film, it would be a better idea to theme it on a Christmas tree where the user opens different pages from clicking on presents or bawballs, rather than a classic, simple website. Also, think of any conventions of a modern website.

Good luck in the exam guys, bit late with this post, but hopefully it can help some of you!
Our teachers have been saying website however, they're also confident it may be a story board for a trailer of your film.
Original post by Matt_Hind
#

Do you have any more points you could make for movies such as the theories they use? Thanks for your other post, really helpful. :smile:
Will I get marked down for using A-list actors? Considering that Reel Film Productions are an independent company? Or nah?
I'm hoping for website, much less effort, however, its likely to be story board. What have you guys been told in reference to the creative task?
Original post by KieranPRTL
Will I get marked down for using A-list actors? Considering that Reel Film Productions are an independent company? Or nah?

would be safer to use actors who are well known but don't cost a lot of money i.e. emilia clarke, thomas sangster, any of that Games of Throne lot it seems as an independent film company probably couldn't afford someone like idk Tom Cruise.

you could then use films like Insurgent and Star Wars VII to back up your choices too
does anyone have an idea as to what is too much for an independent film company to pay for actors?

star wars paid round a hundred thousand for daisy ridley and john boyega and they were relatively unknown actors but star wars was produced by disney soooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending