The Student Room Group

Intercalation - Northern Ireland Student Finance

I'm currently a 4th year medical student in England planning to intercalate in the BSc Urgent Emergency Care next year, but I'm originally from Northern Ireland.

Normally for 5th and if applicable 6th year of medical school tuition fees are covered by a bursary.

Today I was contacted by student finance NI, to say that I was not eligible for this bursary because I did not intercalate between 3rd and 4th year. This means I will have to pay the £9000 for next year.

Has anyone had/heard about this problem? I would be really grateful for any help!!
Original post by hd843
I'm currently a 4th year medical student in England planning to intercalate in the BSc Urgent Emergency Care next year, but I'm originally from Northern Ireland.

Normally for 5th and if applicable 6th year of medical school tuition fees are covered by a bursary.

Today I was contacted by student finance NI, to say that I was not eligible for this bursary because I did not intercalate between 3rd and 4th year. This means I will have to pay the £9000 for next year.

Has anyone had/heard about this problem? I would be really grateful for any help!!

I'm sorry to say that my understanding is exactly the same, in NI they discourage intercalating unless its between 2-3 or 3-4th year. In NI some banks will cover low interest Intercalatory Loan (BOI) but as I'm self-funding for a Masters I'm in the same boat. SF will still cover 4th and 5th year then will they not? Instead of DHSPSSNI?
Reply 2
Original post by That Bearded Man
I'm sorry to say that my understanding is exactly the same, in NI they discourage intercalating unless its between 2-3 or 3-4th year. In NI some banks will cover low interest Intercalatory Loan (BOI) but as I'm self-funding for a Masters I'm in the same boat. SF will still cover 4th and 5th year then will they not? Instead of DHSPSSNI?

Yes SF will still pay for my tuition for the intercalation but that means an extra £9,000 to pay back at the end :s-smilie:

I'm currently in the process of appealing the whole thing but it has to go through the NI DoH which will probably take a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending