?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If not, then why?
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are a few. Turkey and Albania spring to mind, through Turkey has become considerably less secular under Erdogan.

The idea of a democratic secular society is something of a Western invention, and is therefore treated as suspicious in certain parts of the world, notably the Arab world. In the countries that do try to implement things like democracy, there is usually an Islamist backlash. For example, the attack on the hotel in Tunisia was a response to what was seen by the Islamists as the anti-Islam adoption of ideas like democracy.

This clash of ideals between those who want to embrace democracy and secularism and traditionalists exists in several Muslim countries and is ongoing.
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AJMD)
If not, then why?
It is because Islamic doctrine is incompatible with secularism. The moderate Muslims who believe otherwise are the exceptions and not the rule.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
There are a few. Turkey and Albania spring to mind, through Turkey has become considerably less secular under Erdogan.

The idea of a democratic secular society is something of a Western invention, and is therefore treated as suspicious in certain parts of the world, notably the Arab world. In the countries that do try to implement things like democracy, there is usually an Islamist backlash. For example, the attack on the hotel in Tunisia was a response to what was seen by the Islamists as the anti-Islam adoption of ideas like democracy.

This clash of ideals between those who want to embrace democracy and secularism and traditionalists exists in several Muslim countries and is ongoing.
Turkey a democratic country? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Erdogan has has placed Turkey at the top of most journalists jailed per year not to mention censoring the internet, twitter, youtube and so on
M14B
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bosnia?
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Erdogans body of work

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...044793870.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...rist-1.2606880
ellie0497
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Indonesia?
ymg177
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ellie0497)
Indonesia?
You mean Malaysia.
ellie0497
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ymg177)
You mean Malaysia.
No, I mean Indonesia.
LittleMissMay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
Turkey a democratic country? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Erdogan has has placed Turkey at the top of most journalists jailed per year not to mention censoring the internet, twitter, youtube and so on
Yea but the post you literally just quoted already acknowledged this so.
notgivingaway
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sweden will be, soon enough
Attempt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Qatar?
LittleMissMay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Indonesia?
http://time.com/4291832/indonesia-ac...a-law-alcohol/
ymg177
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, I mean Indonesia.
Indonesia isn't as secular as you think it to be.
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissMay)
Yea but the post you literally just quoted already acknowledged this so.
Better post with links so people can read up on Turkeys shenanigans themself.
humanteaparty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Turkey? No no no no no no
ellie0497
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well that is the only region in the whole of Indonesia which practices Sharia. They have their own government.
ymg177
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is no country that implements 100% Sharia Law today. Even Saudi Arabia which you might think use Sharia Law for everything is not the case. Saudi Arabia uses some secular laws in their country mixed with Sharia Law. This means almost all (if not all) use some form of secularism within their country.
tengentoppa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
Yes Turkey has become authoritarian under Erdogan, but constitutionally it is still a democracy. Whether that is still the case in a few years time is doubtful
LittleMissMay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well that is the only region in the whole of Indonesia which practices Sharia.
But still. The example it still might set. I'm also struggling with whether Indonesia is a democracy. But I do definitely feel it might be one of the more generally livable places with huge Islamic population.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads