The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Whats the difference between newspaper report and newspaper article?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by dennissingh99
So lets say that I am writing point 1, but because its too long, i write it right under the line 1, but not on the second line, is that fine. Because otherwise I dont know how i am going to write the whole point on one line...

yeah thats fine as long as its clear to the examiner that its not a new point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waveyalex
I go to a skl that loves to do interventions lool we had a dropdown for english from 9 to 3:30.How u feeling bout the exam tommorow ?

neat, neat

I'm at peace with the exam tomorrow, I got an a in my mock

it's more the other exams i'm sh*tting myself over, like the computing exam

How about you?
Original post by x_geniya_jery_x
Thank you! But what is the difference between a newspaper article and newspaper report? What do you think will come up tomorrow?

It doesn't matter,really, what does come up.

You only get 5 marks for the writing - the structure

it's the 15 marks you should worry about - the reading. picking out points and such.
whether it's a speech, newspaper report or letter, you're still going to be writing in paragraphs. the only main difference tbh, is the formality of the writing
Does anyone have any sample papers (not the official ones) that I could try? I really want to do another paper.PS. I have done the PIXL papers.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
It doesn't matter,really, what does come up.

You only get 5 marks for the writing - the structure

it's the 15 marks you should worry about - the reading. picking out points and such.
whether it's a speech, newspaper report or letter, you're still going to be writing in paragraphs. the only main difference tbh, is the formality of the writing

does it matter if your points are not on the mark scheme for question one
Reply 586
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Whats the difference between newspaper report and newspaper article?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Report is fact based and does not really contain many opinions or explain what happened and why. On the other hand, an article contains more opinions and offers explanations to what happened along with the facts.
Ideally, how long should your summary be for Q3b?
I was told no more than a page, is this correct or does it not matter?
Ahhh how do you write a report???
Original post by joshualh
Would someone be able to mark a question 2 I have just done? Thanks

Sure. Send it this way :smile:

I'm a teacher of First Language English IGCSE (syllabus 0500, so if anyone here has questions about Paper 3, let me know!) and can see that there are a lot of concerns in this thread! Just thought I would try to address a few of them in case it helps anybody before tomorrow.

For Q1, the examiner's advice seems a little strange. I don't think you have to use the bullet points for an interview as the interview questions: there's nothing in the mark scheme that penalises for not doing this, and frankly I think it sounds less authentic if you do. Think about how interviews actually look in magazines and sound on TV; there is a script but there are also interim comments and links that make it sound like actual humans speaking and not robots :tongue: Talk vs speech...not much difference. The former is possibly a little more informal. A report is usually more informative, whereas an article can take many different forms (e.g. feature article is going to be more opinion-based possibly). I'd also aim for 3rd person in a formal report. 1st person does not usually encourage formality!

It sounds obvious, but do what the instructions tell you. If they say don't write more than half a page, then don't write more than half a page. This is particularly true of Q3, where you can definitely be penalised if the response is overlong. For the list of 15 points in 3a, examiners do have the right to consider valid alternative answers. If several equally valid answers come up in moderation they'll be added to the mark scheme anyway - and it's this amended version that will be used by examiners. Someone asked about writing 3b in the first person; there is no need to do so and you could potentially lose marks for style if you do (I personally think it would lengthen your response and possibly lead to a loss of marks because your answer is overlong).

Some of you have been complaining about teachers not telling you coursework and/or speaking and listening marks. They do not have to tell you, and I understand their reluctance to do so. Moderation can mean that your marks go up or down, and they don't want you to take their marks as a promise.

Hope this helps a bit. Do ask if you need anything else, and good luck tomorrow!
Original post by Kiniun
Ideally, how long should your summary be for Q3b?
I was told no more than a page, is this correct or does it not matter?

If you can get it all in under a page, that's good. I'd make sure you never go over a page and a quarter. You'd be wasting time. A page is enough to summarise all the points you need, so if you can, stick to that!
r u guys on study leave or r u in ur time tabelled lessons before the exam?
Original post by coreHelp
r u guys on study leave or r u in ur time tabelled lessons before the exam?

I am on study leave
remember to write reasonably formal regardless in q1 - after all it is an exam assessing high ability students :smile: they arent gonna expect slang are they
Original post by 123Master321
does it matter if your points are not on the mark scheme for question one

not nessecarily.

if the point you've made are relevant, you'll most likely get the mark anyway
The mark scheme only has suggestions, other ideas can be accepted as well
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
neat, neat

I'm at peace with the exam tomorrow, I got an a in my mock

it's more the other exams i'm sh*tting myself over, like the computing exam

How about you?

Maths for me is the highlight subject achieved Grade A in my first mock then A* in the second mock.Cant say the same about my other subjects like science.Although I only actually need 3 marks in the exam tomoz I average 30 marks from every paper I have done which means I would get an A* lool
Quick question: for Q2 if a word/phrase is an image, do you have to write the word 'image' in your answer to get the mark, or can you just identify it e.g. 'this word/phrase is a metaphor'?
What are the PiXL papers? Are they worth doing, and if so, how should I get hold of them?
Original post by pixiefuller
Quick question: for Q2 if a word/phrase is an image, do you have to write the word 'image' in your answer to get the mark, or can you just identify it e.g. 'this word/phrase is a metaphor'?

I second this question
Original post by ibte10
How is everybody feeling?For question 1 i think a Journal or an Interview may come up as the form of writing.

I have been praying that an interview or letter comes up and a journal,magazine arctile doesnt but im gd at all of them but hate journals

Quick Reply