Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How important is it that you remember the case studies? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a geography GCSE in May, and I can rememeber most stuff ok when I do the past papers but I find the long essay like questions that give you loads of marks really hard because I can't remeber the case studies, 😑 how important are they? Can not remebering the case studies stop you passing? Or make you get a lower mark? I find it hard to know which one they want me to write about 😑

ReputationRep:
    For my exam board there's no specific case study you use so im going to learn them all vaguely and then make up facts really, what exam board are you with? As that will probably decide wether you need to learn them or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silversea3765)
    I'm taking a geography GCSE in May, and I can rememeber most stuff ok when I do the past papers but I find the long essay like questions that give you loads of marks really hard because I can't remeber the case studies, 😑 how important are they? Can not remebering the case studies stop you passing? Or make you get a lower mark? I find it hard to know which one they want me to write about 😑
    You don't have to write about the case studies, but if you don't you will get lower marks. For example, if there was an 8 mark question on how an earthquake affected an area and you just wrote about how earthquakes affect areas in general and not a specific place, I think the highest mark you can get is 3-4?

Which topics are you doing?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    not important, just make up a really sensible case study. so a question comes on on tourism in an MEDC, what you do is pick an MEDC location with tourism - London, Blackpool, Iceland, Spain, etc a lot of these case studies have similar facts, like the ones i listed they all bring jobs to the locals and boost the economy. bring in some statistics, not blatantly made up of course. examiners will not know everything about every place, they dont know what case studies you've learnt so just get a place name in there and some common facts that go with the topic and get the mark. i got my exam in june :-)

ReputationRep:
    well it all depends on what the question is asking. if a question asks:
    For a named example, compare the primary secondary impacts of earthquakes
    Then you would lose marks if you dont write any examples or statistics of an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silversea3765)
    I don't know about that but I'm taking business and they are giving us the case study in May

No, I found that for GCSE it was important (Edexcel). It can really set you back a grade or two without that knowledge. Like you only need three facts for each case study anyways.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.