Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to work out how you predict your class of honours but the document the OU provides is very confusing.

I'm doing a BA English degree. I have to complete 360 credits.

However the document states that only 240 credits are used to determine your class of honours?

One 60 credit module is simply pass/fail so that doesn't count but that still leaves a 60 credit module that I will have to complete but won't actually be used in working out my class of honours?

There's an online calculator but it's not linked to the open university so I don't know how accurate it really is.

If anyone could explain that would be really helpful!

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The online calculator is a pretty good way of finding your way through the incomprehensible system the OU use, but the gist of it is that, in common with most universities, the work you do at Level 1 doesn't count towards your degree classification, and it's the work you do at levels 2 and 3 that will determine your class of honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle93)
    I've been trying to work out how you predict your class of honours but the document the OU provides is very confusing.

However the document states that only 240 credits are used to determine your class of honours?

One 60 credit module is simply pass/fail so that doesn't count but that still leaves a 60 credit module that I will have to complete but won't actually be used in working out my class of honours?

There's an online calculator but it's not linked to the open university so I don't know how accurate it really is.

Thanks
    If you are talking about this online calculator http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29 then it is accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle93)

Thanks
    As Persipan says it's just level 2 & 3 that count.

Just in case yourself, or others, don't understand the 'working out your class of honours' PDF document (most people struggle with it as it is badly written) on the OU site.

It's basically for each level having 120 points worth of modules that must be used in classification (usually listed in degree description otherwise it's the best 120 at that level if more than 120 which is less of an issue with newer style degrees)

modules at level 2: credit points x grade (i.e grade 1,2,3,4)
    modules at level 3: credit points x grade x 2

then the above summed together to give weighted score which will fall into one of:

First class 630 or less weighted grade credits
    Upper second class 631 to 900 weighted grade credits
    Lower second class 901 to 1170 weighted grade credits
    Third class 1171 to 1440 weighted grade credits

then for quality assurance need 60 credits at grade1(distinction) at level 3 for a first, 60 credits at least grade 2 for 2:1 etc...but there can be some leeway in this I'm told for 2nd class honours if hold distinction etc..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.