Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark

I have got onto an accelerated Physiotherapy course in England and found out a while back about these new postgraduate government loans. I've been watching several forums and some say the eligibility rules have not been finalised. The problem being that I have lived in Scotland for a long long time.

I am also aware that similar postgraduate schemes have been encouraged in devolved nations but that probably would not help me at this stage due to the time it would take to make such a scheme available.

Is it worth watching the postgraduate loans at this stage or have the eligibility rules been finalised at this stage?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Magnusmeo)
    Hi Mark

I have got onto an accelerated Physiotherapy course in England and found out a while back about these new postgraduate government loans. I've been watching several forums and some say the eligibility rules have not been finalised. The problem being that I have lived in Scotland for a long long time.

I am also aware that similar postgraduate schemes have been encouraged in devolved nations but that probably would not help me at this stage due to the time it would take to make such a scheme available.

Is it worth watching the postgraduate loans at this stage or have the eligibility rules been finalised at this stage?

Thanks
    The eligibility rules have been finalised but not released.

At the moment we're expecting that only students "ordinarily resident" in England (or the EU outside the UK) will be eligible.

Ordinary residence can include years (or even decades) of living outside a country as long as you can prove that there was always an intention to return back to your original country (so if your stay in Scotland was for study followed by employment but you kept an English address with your parents for your bank account or driving licence or student loan payments that might be sufficient to prove English ordinary residence).

Is the course you've been accepted onto an NHS funded physio course? if so then you'll be eligible for NHS funding regardless of where in the UK you live (and wouldn't be able to apply for a postgrad loan). It's worth asking the university concerned what funding is available - they may be aware of other sources that you haven't considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The eligibility rules have been finalised but not released.

At the moment we're expecting that only students "ordinarily resident" in England (or the EU outside the UK) will be eligible.

Ordinary residence can include years (or even decades) of living outside a country as long as you can prove that there was always an intention to return back to your original country (so if your stay in Scotland was for study followed by employment but you kept an English address with your parents for your bank account or driving licence or student loan payments that might be sufficient to prove English ordinary residence).

Is the course you've been accepted onto an NHS funded physio course? if so then you'll be eligible for NHS funding regardless of where in the UK you live (and wouldn't be able to apply for a postgrad loan). It's worth asking the university concerned what funding is available - they may be aware of other sources that you haven't considered.

Nah. I'm not in a course that is funded by the NHS, a few pre registration courses are funded down in England but places are/were limited? I've contacted my University and it seems that it's looking like a career development loan.

I was more or less hoping that the eligibility criteria would be loosened before my course began so that it would include Scotland and other countries in the UK. Very few funding bodies listed in Gov.uk primarily fund research, engineering and physics.

Hope the Scottish government implement their £9000 postgrad loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.