Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is English Baccalaureate worth it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of choosing my GCSE topics for year 10, If you don't know. The government are pushing schools to encourage the students to pick the English Baccalaureate pathway, there's a regular pathway, Geography OR History and then you can choose from the business, media, Ict subjects.
    And then theres the EBACC pathway, were you have the option to choose Geography OR History and a modern foreign language, In my school the only MFL we have available is FRENCH. I've heard the teachers say the EBACC route is more for the students that wish to continue their education into university, as the EBACC route will help you get accepted into universities.

I don't honestly know what to believe, I have done my own research, but is what my school telling me correct? I absoloutly hate French, I know I'm not going to do good in it, but they keep pressuring me.
    Please help. Is it worth it? Is it going to help me with my university?

Just to put it out, I am planning to persue a career in Dentistry, I am 13 and I know everything I need to know to achieve my aspiration, I know university Is very important to me, so all answers are appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    what did you decide? is EBacc so important?

ReputationRep:
    If you hate French and feel that you would do badly don't take it. The EBacc is more important for schools than it is for students - this is why your school is pushing it. Yes, some universities like it but they like excellent grades in other subjects just as much.

ReputationRep:
    If you hate something don't take it. Your only going to do good in things you really like (unless you really push yourself to learn a subject you don't like).

Do what you think is right. Honestly doing one language doesn't change much as most people don't use it in their A levels. Remember only do what you think is right for your career. Personally I would pick the regular pathway and try to excel in that.

ReputationRep:
    UCL forces you to have a MFL GCSE C if you want to study there, and if you don't have one, they make you take it at Uni. But apart from that, no other uni cares about EBacc. You cant go wrong though if you do the Ebacc (apart from maybe not enjoying youself)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have encountered a similar problem - I am in year 9 and will choose my GCSEs after Christmas. I have been told in vague terms about EBACC but it seems that the only teachers who encourage it are those whose subject is included in the 'set', for want of a better word. I have talked to my French teacher, and he has strongly encouraged taking a language, be it German or French. However, I strongly dislike (not quite hate) French, and I feel that if I took it for GCSE It would be a waste of valuable revision time that could be spent on other subject which are closer to my heart (and brain). I feel similarly about German, although less strongly. When I talked to my resistant materials teacher, she told me that EBACC is just a thing that the school pushes to make themselves look better, and that universities would prefer excellent marks in subjects they accept than acceptable marks in EBACC subjects.I have encountered a similar problem - I am in year 9 and will choose my GCSEs after Christmas. I have been told in vague terms about EBACC but it seems that the only teachers who encourage it are those whose subject is included in the 'set', for want of a better word. I have talked to my French teacher, and he has strongly encouraged taking a language, be it German or French. However, I strongly dislike (not quite hate) French, and I feel that if I took it for GCSE It would be a waste of valuable revision time that could be spent on other subject which are closer to my heart (and brain). I feel similarly about German, although less strongly. When I talked to my resistant materials teacher, she told me that EBACC is just a thing that the school pushes to make themselves look better, and that universities would prefer excellent marks in subjects they accept than acceptable marks in EBACC subjects.Both my older brothers have taken German, and while my eldest brother, currently 21, proceeded to take it at A level and continued it in his first year of university, my next oldest brother took it at GCSE but in hindsight feels that he should have taken another subject that would suit him more. As I feel closer on the matter to my second brother, I am wondering if I should follow as he wishes he did himself, or if I should attempt to stick with a subject I have no wishes to continue.

ReputationRep:
    NO University gives extra credit for EBac. NO University 'requires' it.

Take the subjects which you will enjoy and where you will get the best grades.
    Forget all about EBac.

ReputationRep:
    No university will require the EBacc but a broad set of academic GCSEs (which is all the EBacc is) will be to your advantage if you are applying to university. How much to your advantage depends on what you want to study and where.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 27, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.