Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My sister might be suffering from depression Watch

Please dont put any comments telling me and my sister to ignore it, we'd like some sincere advice on how to deal with it from people who have suffered from it/are suffering/know someone who is suffering.

my sister feels really bad at school, she is being bullied everyday and the teachers enever help. she also gets mean messages and feels really bad, please out down some motivating words to help my sister, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please dont put any comments telling me and my sister to ignore it, we'd like some sincere advice on how to deal with it from people who have suffered from it/are suffering/know someone who is suffering.

my sister feels really bad at school, she is being bullied everyday and the teachers enever help. she also gets mean messages and feels really bad, please out down some motivating words to help my sister, thanks
    I really don't have the right words, but :console:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that . Aren't there charities that help people with depression. But you should definitely speak to your parents about it first.

(Original post by Anonymous)

In all honesty I feel so bad for her. Why these bullys got nothing better to do, I just don't get!

I was bullied and developed clinical depression and trust me this is the worst thing anyone has to go through. She's lucky to have a brother like you who understands the sensitivity of the situation. None of my family members understood me as none of our known-to's has been through this and as of them it's a joke which is a shame. So I fought against this at my own and managed to get off my medication within a year.

All I would say is don't let her feel that you're treating her differently or she's different to anyone who's not going through this. Do everything to keep her engage with people, don't let her sit alone at her own. Make jokes with her, cheer her up. See where her potential resides and polish on that. Try new things, things that she has never done before no matter how funny they sound- but obviously take her in your confidence and make her feel comfortable before trying something new. For example, I started cycling, gardening and other physical activities, that helped me alot. Go for tree climbing, keep her engaged in physical activities. This will boost up her serotonin levels. Serotonin being a happy hormone will make her happy and she'll stay positive.

I'm sure you're a wonderful person and how you want to help her deserves an applause but at times it might seem hard, utterly pointless to give her hand and you might want to give up. But remember that's not her, it's those stupid emotions controlling her. Please don't give up, please don't leave her alone.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.