Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling to decide on which university to insure, since I am pretty certain I wont get into my firm, so I need make sure I choose one I will like. But I just can't decide!

I like Surrey because of the campus, the fact that it offers a work placement (which is rare for English) and because it is a really good uni for English, plus it's only an hour or so away from me. But I don't completely love the course and I didn't find the taster seminar that interesting.

With Kent, I didn't like the campus as much and its a lot further away for me. But I really loved the course and the fact that its by the sea.

I know its my decision in the end but I just can't decide which will be better - is it better to decide based on the course or will the work placement at Surrey be more beneficial? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I know you've probably decided by now but I've just come across this thread and I'm also conflicted between the two! I haven't applied yet because I'm going for 2017 entry but I was wondering which one you've insured? I'll most likely also be applying to East Anglia, Sussex, Birmingham and Bangor (as a safety net) but I'm torn between Surrey and Kent because both are in wonderful locations with interesting courses. Kent has really great international connections which is important for me because I'd love to study/work abroad someday. However, with all that's going on with the EU it might not be the safest bet as all their other unis are in Europe. Sorry for rambling and not helping you at all but would you mind giving me any advice? Also, I'm assuming it was English Lit you applied for but either way, where else did you apply to? And how did you find the atmosphere in both unis?Oh, and good luck with your results!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I decided to firm East Anglia and insure Kent in the end instead of Surrey, mainly because I decided that I preferred the course at Kent for English Literature much more I also applied to Southampton (but their offer was too high for me) and Reading (but I hadn't been to Reading so it was just a back up option really). I found East Anglia really nice, it is very concrete which a lot of people seem to complain about, but it is surrounded by fields and I personally like how everything is close as it felt like a really friendly safe environment. And there were loads of rabbits on the campus too haha Kent was quite spread out and didn't have the same sort of community feel to it but it was still nice, just a bit quieter compared to others. And Surrey was sort of a mixture between the two and seemed more like a school to me. But these were definitely nicer than some campuses I had visited like Nottingham which was completely spread apart with lots of walking to get from one place to another and I personally found Birmingham a bit too busy for me as I prefer quieter places. If you can though I would try and visit them because some people hated the East Anglia campus, but I really liked it! Yeah, I'm hoping the whole EU thing won't affect studying at Kent, especially as I don't think my exams went well enough to get in to East Anglia and more likely to be going to Kent. But I'll just have to see on results day good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybeanbabytot)
    Hi! I decided to firm East Anglia and insure Kent in the end instead of Surrey, mainly because I decided that I preferred the course at Kent for English Literature much more I also applied to Southampton (but their offer was too high for me) and Reading (but I hadn't been to Reading so it was just a back up option really). I found East Anglia really nice, it is very concrete which a lot of people seem to complain about, but it is surrounded by fields and I personally like how everything is close as it felt like a really friendly safe environment. And there were loads of rabbits on the campus too haha Kent was quite spread out and didn't have the same sort of community feel to it but it was still nice, just a bit quieter compared to others. And Surrey was sort of a mixture between the two and seemed more like a school to me. But these were definitely nicer than some campuses I had visited like Nottingham which was completely spread apart with lots of walking to get from one place to another and I personally found Birmingham a bit too busy for me as I prefer quieter places. If you can though I would try and visit them because some people hated the East Anglia campus, but I really liked it! Yeah, I'm hoping the whole EU thing won't affect studying at Kent, especially as I don't think my exams went well enough to get in to East Anglia and more likely to be going to Kent. But I'll just have to see on results day good luck to you too!
    Thank you so much for all the feedback, this was really helpful. I think I'd definitely go for Kent over Surrey as the course there looks amazing so your decision makes a lot of sense I know what you mean about East Anglia, I've heard very mixed reviews and I can't say that from photos I'm particularly drawn in by the campus but the accommodation looks nice and I'll definitely go to an open day to make up my mind.
    I'm so glad to hear that Nottingham isn't all it's lived up to be because although it has a great reputation and I thought about applying there for some time, the course doesn't actually look that interesting and the city isn't anything special.

Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback, you've definitely helped me make up my mind about my options!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.