Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A level history coursework- any ideas? (THINK: Academic) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did decolonisation of the British Empire, looking at the decolonisation of Kenya and the Mau Mau uprising. The question was something like: " Independence came to Kenya in spite of the actions of Mau Mau rather than because of them" how far do you agree?
    It was pretty cool to do and there was plenty books.
    I also found doing the Russia part of the syllabus interesting so maybe do something from then.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity since ill be doing this next year can you do this on literally anything?

Japan for example, I would probably enjoy writing something about Japan's involvment in WW2 or the consequence of the war on Japan and its culture post the war. Is that sort of thing considering I wouldnt have studied it before viable?

ReputationRep:
    I did my coursework on whether or not Auschwitz was ever an extermination camp. As long as it is a topic of controversy, then its viable.

ReputationRep:
    mine was, ' to what extent was Stalin able to transform Russian socety during 1929-38' wasnt the most excting one but theres a lot of debate about it so it wasnt hard to formulate and evaluate the differnt arguments

ReputationRep:
    what were the causes of the september massacres in paris in 1792? wicked: that's what i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i am going to be doing history coursework that can be based on anything as long as it's debatable and at least 6 books have written about it.
    The only thing is, is that i'm stuck for ideas, which is quite bad
    I thought about doing euthanasia, but i was told that it is too philisophical:rolleyes:
    i had considered doing something on the Tudors, but that's not very original is it?

Anyone got any ideas?
    The theatre in the 1600s. If you're a theatre-y person, it's really interesting

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i was gonna do something about berlin / the berlin wall coz i find it interesting but now im not so sure! :confused:
    i think uve just gotta pick something you are interested in, then the teacher can tell u if its suitable or not!
    good luck
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    with my exam-board (wjec) we didn't get to choose what we wanted to do our coursework about. we did it about the topic that we were already studying, and everyone did the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I did Votes for Women, and the impact of violence, which was apprantly a popular topic this year.

I would say pick something you're familiar with, there's too much background reading if you pick a new topic.

ReputationRep:
    If you're allowed to, you could do something on theory/philosophy of History ("What Is History?" and all that), post-modernism and so on... I could give you the titles of some books to read. That's philosophical, but might be a bit difficult and I'm not sure if AQA will like it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to avoid war at all costs! I'm doing waaaaaay too much of that in History. I want something totally off topic,that's why i was thinking about doing Harvey Lee Oswald as there can be quite interesting debates about him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    If you're allowed to, you could do something on theory/philosophy of History ("What Is History?" and all that), post-modernism and so on... I could give you the titles of some books to read. That's philosophical, but might be a bit difficult and I'm not sure if AQA will like it.
    i don't think we're allowed to do anything too philisophical. I think there is a fine line between philisophipcal and historical,which is why i'm finding it difficult to chose an area of study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    So where did the Tudor bit come from? The problem with JFK etc is the mass of conspiracy (sp) theories kicking around, making it very difficult establishing what actually happened. Maybe in fifty years we'll know the truth... :rolleyes:

Russia might be a good idea: 'To what extent was Stalin a conservative figure preventing the expansion of communism?' etc etc. Maybe the fact that he killed more people than Hitler?

I find it all too recent to be able to evaluate. Much better to do early modern stuff. People like Peter the Great, shagged anything that moved. Great man...
    lol, the Tudors are something totally off topic. I was thinking something along the lines of what would have happened if Queen Elizabeth the first had married, or to what extent is the statement true that she was married to her country, or something like that:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I want to avoid war at all costs! I'm doing waaaaaay too much of that in History. I want something totally off topic,that's why i was thinking about doing Harvey Lee Oswald as there can be quite interesting debates about him.
    Ok, but I think Harvey Lee Oswald is a bit risky to be honest... There's obviously a lot of literature about this, but a lot of it isn't trustworthy and the examiner might not like conspiracy theories... Maybe you should move away from JFK's assassination and analyse his policies and his image, Cuba, Bay of Pigs, Vietnam... Why he was unpopular in the South, his relationship with the CIA... and to round it off, look at the way he was seen after his death until now (the examiners will like historiography ).

ReputationRep:
    lol, the Tudors are something totally off topic. I was thinking something along the lines of what would have happened if Queen Elizabeth the first had married, or to what extent is the statement true that she was married to her country, or something like that:rolleyes:
    I doubt that they'd like a counterfactual argument (the what if... type of essay).

The second might be a possibilty with Elizabeth playing off her different suitors etc. A friend was going to do the influence of sex on royal decision making and the power of mistresses in 18th cent France, but couldn't find enough evidence. A shame, since it could have been quite funny.

B00kwOrm makes points; titles galore. Maybe even the black civil rights movement?

A more practical point, but the essay in itself doesn't have to contain any historiography (I found it broke the structure up and made it too long) but you can include an awful lot in the Plan and Record of Procedure, which has no word limit (some people last year wrote as much for the Plan as for the main essay). Since there is a ridiculous amount for evaluating sources and historiography something like 20 out of 60 raw marks, you'd be daft to miss it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Ok, but I think Harvey Lee Oswald is a bit risky to be honest... There's obviously a lot of literature about this, but a lot of it isn't trustworthy and the examiner might not like conspiracy theories... Maybe you should move away from JFK's assassination and analyse his policies and his image, Cuba, Bay of Pigs, Vietnam... Why he was unpopular in the South, his relationship with the CIA... and to round it off, look at the way he was seen after his death until now (the examiners will like historiography ).
    i asked my history my teacher and she did say that i would be fine to do lee harvey oswald

but i've just thought about another idea! what if i talked about J.F.K and to what extent was he family orientated as he did have ste beliefs about "the American Dream" he did do alot of dodgy deals, so i think that could be quite interesting, or would that be too philisophical?

ReputationRep:
    i asked my history my teacher and she did say that i would be fine to do lee harvey oswald

but i've just thought about another idea! what if i talked about J.F.K and to what extent was he family orientated as he did have ste beliefs about "the American Dream" he did do alot of dodgy deals, so i think that could be quite interesting, or would that be too philisophical?
    Well, if she says it's okay... but you'll have to give your title to the board's coursework advisor first anyway and he is likely (imo) to write a comment along the lines of what I've said above. If you do Oswald, choose your sources carefully.

Your second idea sounds a bit vague and "philosophical" I think... but obviously you could do something along the lines of: "How did Kennedy's actions reflect his political thoughts and (social) ideas?" and again, include historiography (if it's too long, then just a little paragraph, just to put it all into context and show you're aware of the interpretations). I think this would do quite nicely

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.