Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend has been weird with me recently but I'm not sure if it's just my imagination. I always try to ask her how things in her life have gone, for example she has a hobby which means a lot to her and I go out of my way to ask how her performances have gone, and I even show my support by attending the performances when I can. Last week I had my first driving lesson and I'd told her a few times how worried about it I was, she knew what day it was on. I was expecting her to at least mention it to me again after I'd had it, but she never asked how it went. I know she probably just forgot, but it sort of hurt because it felt like she just didn't care.

I try to smile at her and say hello when I see her in the corridor at college, but she often doesn't even look at me or acknowledge my presence. I smiled at her today across the library and she just stared at me and then went to chat to one of her other friends. She only talks to me if I talk to her first.

I'm afraid to bring it up with her because she's probably just stressed with exams and coursework, but it just feels like she doesn't make an effort with me at all. In the past if I've tried to tell her I have an issue it always ends up with her putting herself down and saying what a terrible friend she is, or I'm somehow in the wrong and I end up apologising. She really means a lot to me and I would hate to lose her, but sometimes trying to be her friend really hurts. What should I do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend has been weird with me recently but I'm not sure if it's just my imagination. I always try to ask her how things in her life have gone, for example she has a hobby which means a lot to her and I go out of my way to ask how her performances have gone, and I even show my support by attending the performances when I can. Last week I had my first driving lesson and I'd told her a few times how worried about it I was, she knew what day it was on. I was expecting her to at least mention it to me again after I'd had it, but she never asked how it went. I know she probably just forgot, but it sort of hurt because it felt like she just didn't care.

I try to smile at her and say hello when I see her in the corridor at college, but she often doesn't even look at me or acknowledge my presence. I smiled at her today across the library and she just stared at me and then went to chat to one of her other friends. She only talks to me if I talk to her first.

I'm afraid to bring it up with her because she's probably just stressed with exams and coursework, but it just feels like she doesn't make an effort with me at all. In the past if I've tried to tell her I have an issue it always ends up with her putting herself down and saying what a terrible friend she is, or I'm somehow in the wrong and I end up apologising. She really means a lot to me and I would hate to lose her, but sometimes trying to be her friend really hurts. What should I do?
    She sounds like a bad friend sorry

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't have to try to be her friend. Sorry but it doesn't seem to be a "healthy friendship". Friendship works both ways. If you're being ignored move on, there's no point.

ReputationRep:
    Friendship is a two way street. The fact that she's ignoring you and only talking to you when you make the first effort shows she isn't really interested in being your friend. Leave this one and find friends where the interest is mutual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Friendship is a two way street. The fact that she's ignoring you and only talking to you when you make the first effort shows she isn't really interested in being your friend. Leave this one and find friends where the interest is mutual.
    I've learnt something the last few weeks OP. Its about to what degree are yee friends and about maximising returns from your friendship.
    Theres no point getting angry at her. Just forget about her...but if she wants to hang out in town someday and you do too then go.
    Accept things the way they are and make the most of the situation.

This girl isnt worth talking about. But a "friend" none the less. Don't push people away, and be positive. Yeh never know what might come out of it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.