Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    •I'm 16
    •Its hard to read a book without losing concentration.
    •I daydream a lot especially in school.
    •My brain feels cloudy like its going in a million directions non-stop.
    •My school attendance is very low.
    •I cant revise or do homework as i lose concentration after 30 seconds.
    •I'm always late to school
    •My sense of direction is bad.
    •I have somewhat social anxiety.
    •It takes long for me to fall asleep.
    •Its hard for me to wake up and get out of bed.
    •I can hyper-focus on games and unnecessary research.
    •My organization skills are very bad as my time management is terrible and other stuff.
    •My listening skills are crappy, I always need the teacher and family members to repeat what they said.
    •I do careless mistakes EVERYTIME and because of this people call me dopey.
    •When a task requires mental effort I cant be asked to do it.
    •When there's a instruction on the board I have to read it multiple times and it still doesn't get into my head.
    •I always forget homework is set and forget to do it and sometimes forget meetings or appointments.
    •I can concentrate on students behind me talking but I cant concentrate when the teachers are talking.
    •When talking to people I sometimes forget what to say and sometimes say the wrong things compared to what I'm meant to say.
    •When am writing and someone's talking at the same time I write what they said instead of what am meant to write.
    •I feel like am not achieving anywhere near my potential.
    •Most of the tasks I do are left unfinished.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Some of what you describe is normal for a lot of people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No-one here can diagnose you, as tiger rag said some of that's normal for a lot of people but there might be something going on. See if you can speak to pastoral or SEN support at your school (or just any teacher can probably point you towards them, or your parents), that or your GP but within school is probably better to start. Then you can go from there with a possible diagnosis, a lot of it you'll need to work on yourself though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a lot like me when I was 16, but I'm not attention-deficit, as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nakreb)
    •I'm 16
    •My organization skills are very bad as my time management is terrible and other stuff.
    •My listening skills are crappy, I always need the teacher and family members to repeat what they said.
    •When there's a instruction on the board I have to read it multiple times and it still doesn't get into my head.
    •I always forget homework is set and forget to do it and sometimes forget meetings or appointments.
    •I can concentrate on students behind me talking but I cant concentrate when the teachers are talking.
    •When talking to people I sometimes forget what to say and sometimes say the wrong things compared to what I'm meant to say.
    •When am writing and someone's talking at the same time I write what they said instead of what am meant to write.
    I really wouldnt worry too much, nearly every single one of those statements i would say about myself and noone has ever questioned ADHD for me, so its quite unlikely i would say

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More or less these apply to me so don;t worry about it

(Original post by Nakreb)
    •I'm 16
    What you've described could be normal, but i'd say it's worth looking into if nothing else than because you think it might be possible. I have ADD (the same as ADHD-PI as far as i can tell) and didn't know for ages. I only found out because I happened to be seeing a psychiatrist. It depends a lot on severity of symptoms as just at a low level basically all of it can be normal. I never had mine noticed at school or anything because I was not a disruption and still got good grades and it's quite common for it to be missed because you are good at coping with it. You will see it as normal in most cases since you've always had it. It can also be simmilar to vitamin deficiencies etc so seeing a dr is a good idea to rule all of that out.

Were you the same as a kid? ADHD (in any form) is something that sticks with you for life, although can be less or more intrusive, so if you didn't have these symptoms or anything like them as a kid you may be more likely to have vitamin deficiencies.

Talk to your doctor or college about being tested. If they think it is worth testing you they will send you to somebody to be tested. It's basically a questionaire and a few little tasks. They may also test you for simmilar learning disabilities (I was tested for dyslexia, dyspraxia and the ADHDs because of simmilar symptoms).

I never thought I had any problem until uni and even then i didn't really think of ADD. Sometimes you don't realise that something is a symptom until you look at the cause. I'll use myself as an example:

I have difficulty reading- I know how to read and have good english skills, but when I read I loose my place and often find that my eyes loose focus. This is pattern glare from my dyslexia and is worse with bright white paper, but better with coloured paper or less itense light.

I interupt conversations without realising- it's difficult for me to follow multiple voices in conversation so I won't realise when somebody is talking if I was focusing on another.

I get annoyed by background noises and sometimes hear things that other people don't- your brain filters out noises all the time and mine is less good at it so while other people are able to ignore a clock ticking I always hear it even when I am trying to focus on other things.

I say "random things" that don't make sense in the context- my brain has more neural pathways so makes links that other peoples won't. Like I might start talking about toilet roll while people are talking about yellow because my bathroom smells like dandilions (yellow) and when I walk into the bathroom I see the toilet roll holder and smell that at the same time. To other people that is a chain of multiple links, but to me its like my toilet roll smells like yellow essentially so is just the one link.

I'm tired a lot- my brain has to work overtime because it is fighting blury vision, multiple background noises etc all the time.

In maths I was always bad at doing the workings- I skipped stages or made other links that other people found less obvious so my workings were never the same and often I wouldn't remember my thought process.

I doodle or daydream a lot in class- I need my hands to be busy while I am listening to things or I loose concentration and day dream (though it is more like my mind goes blank sometimes since I don't remember any day dreaming). I also find it easy for my mind to run off on tangents becaus it makes those "random" links.

I'm late or bad at timing- my mind runs away a lot so it's difficult for me to keep track of time and I may also misjudge how long it will take to do something or travel somewhere.

I am smart in class, but don't test well- the written component of exams hinders me since it is difficult to get my thoughts down as they come out. I may be able to see the answer clearly but writing down how I was meant to get to it is difficult. I also have difficulty remembering specific facts like dates which is important in exams. I am good at understanding concepts though so in class I understand everything.

I had "short term memory issues"- this is something my school thought since I had difficulty following instructions. They thought I forgot what I was told when I actually never heard it. I would get distracted or just have trouble taking in all the information. I was later tested and found to have good memory.

I ignore people/ don't listen- ditto for the last one- I think I am listeing but then realise my mind swiched off.

I mix up words or spell things wrong consistently- some words get muddled in my head (like grey and brown) or remember my misspelling of a word when I have been corrected rather than the correct spelling. I always get confused with very (or verry) because I remember my teacher talking about how to spell berry at the same time. They were saying how the sound the same but are spelt differently, but I just remember them being used at the same time.

I listen to music when working- it blocks out the other background noise and since it's the same songs that I know my brain can ignore it and treat it as white noise. It helps me focus.

I shout- I find it difficult to control the volume of my voice and do not realise when I am shouting. It often happens when I am excited or pattionate about what I am saying.

I hear shouting when people aren't- I mix sounds so if people are talking while a loud bang happens I mix the volume of the bang with the words they are saying and hear shouting. I also assume shouting because of context or tone of voice. So if I normally see shouting with an angry facial expression and somebody whispers to me angrily I will hear shouting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.