Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    What do you want to do, and why do you think you'll enjoy it?
    Sports journalism. I think I'll enjoy it because I already write a column for a small site and I enjoy that. Plus I like watching football. Simple really . Although as I said, the unrealistic pursuit would be a career in music, once again because I spend a lot of my spare time preparing for it, mainly by writing songs. If I could spend my whole life doing either of those things making enough money to get by, I'd be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    That was what I was thinking- I guess the last option resembles that most closely.
    Yeah, but I don't want to do anything hard .

ReputationRep:
    What was the thinking process that led you to your current plans for the future? What's the main critereon for what you want to do? Money, prestige, stability, social worth? Do tell.

Personally, I want to become a scientist because new research can leave a lasting, beneficial legacy to society.
    I swear you did this a while back (if you did, it was aaages ago). Anyway, I want to go into research too. Astrophysics though, as it's (some of it, anyway) just interesting. Getting to write papers and get published in journals and stuff.. sounds fun to me. I guess it won't pay that well, but still.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know exactly what career i want to pursue but i'm thinking probably some research into human disorders such as autism. and i want to do it because i enjoy it and find it interesting, that doesn't really fall into the categories. maybe challenging? certainly not money though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    You've missed out one of the most obvious answers, Enjoyment! I want to become a sports journalist because I love writing and I love sports!
    I think that would be too easy an option for everyone to vote for. After all, who wants to do something they don't enjoy for 40 years?

ReputationRep:
    I think that would be too easy an option for everyone to vote for. After all, who wants to do something they don't enjoy for 40 years?
    A higher number than you would think! So many people (well, at least the ones I know) are interested in a career just because it pays well. Which is ncie of course, but not if the job is so dull that it makes you want to kill yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Lawyers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I swear you did this a while back (if you did, it was aaages ago). Anyway, I want to go into research too. Astrophysics though, as it's (some of it, anyway) just interesting. Getting to write papers and get published in journals and stuff.. sounds fun to me. I guess it won't pay that well, but still.
    Hmm, well I don't remember posting something like this, though you may be right. I think I should start posting new discussion threads more often, as I've been quite distant this past half year (though I have been moderating still).

(Original post by Checkey)
    Lawyers?
    My dad hated being a solicitor so much that he quit and became a law teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    A higher number than you would think! So many people (well, at least the ones I know) are interested in a career just because it pays well. Which is ncie of course, but not if the job is so dull that it makes you want to kill yourself!
    Heh, well I think I would get bored of being a banker/lawyer etc. after a while.

ReputationRep:
    The people who vote for the other options

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well I don't remember posting something like this, though you may be right. I think I should start posting new discussion threads more often, as I've been quite distant this past half year (though I have been moderating still).
    Yeah, you should. Especially if they're ones like this . What area do you wanna do research in btw (or have you not thought about it specifically?)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Yeah, you should. Especially if they're ones like this . What area do you wanna do research in btw (or have you not thought about it specifically?)?
    Thanks
    Well, my girlfriend (who is also going to do physics at uni) wants to do research that helps make nuclear fusion power a reality. That sounds cool, because your research has tangible results and it has a social benefit (pollution-free electricity!!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Well, my girlfriend (who is also going to do physics at uni) wants to do research that helps make nuclear fusion power a reality. That sounds cool, because your research has tangible results and it has a social benefit (pollution-free electricity!!)
    Ooh, fair enough .

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously thinking of becoming a career academic, because I love English and I'd love to study it and teach other people about it But I'd hate to be a teacher, so academic it'd have to be.

I also would like to give writing a try I've always wanted to be a writer so this summer I'm going to actually put my money where my mouth is and act like a writer rather than someone who writes something, then says "well, that's not very good is it??" and bins it.

ReputationRep:
    Professor/Researcher in Sociology and Cultural Studies
    I chose 'challenging' b/c unless I happen to publish a v. popular book, I'm not in it for the money!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be a fashion journalist. Its what im good at besides, people may or may not be impressed, I dont care, but It would be great to do something I love.
    Another thing Id love to do would be Archaeology, but hello, Id have to study in AUS and digging up old fish bones isnt my idea of fun. But Id love to host a history doco. But thats on the back seat.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the option for "die young"?

MB

ReputationRep:
    The last two options may not apply because prospective personnel would not know if their desired career is challenging or what they are good at

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a doctor (laugh if you must!), I love people and science!
    Not sure which part interests me most yet, I'd like to do MSF! If not that then sports medicine ( a growing field) or oncology. But not a 9 to 5 job thats always the same- couldn't cope with that!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.