Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What career have you chosen to pursue and why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a history teacher because I'd feel so guilty doing a job were I did not help anyone other than myself. I do like the environment of school and I think I possess many of the good teacher qualities. However, I love a bit of cash and I want to become a property developer too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I want to be a history teacher because I'd feel so guilty doing a job were I did not help anyone other than myself. I do like the environment of school and I think I possess many of the good teacher qualities. However, I love a bit of cash and I want to become a property developer too.
    Sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to b a history teacher too! I am good at history and enjoy plus it gives back and I love teaching!

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to be either an academic or a secondary school teacher but it really depends on my degree etc.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Biology teacher. I'm not good enough at science to go out and help people via research... but I would love to think that I could inspire kids to do that! Especially as scientists are becoming a rare breed... we need more inspirational science teachers, so while I'm not sure I can be a great teacher I really want to try to be!

ReputationRep:
    Job: Corporate Lawyer

Reasons: I was interested in Law, and Business at an early age. I was certain I would study one of the two, but during highschool I began to prefer Law, and corporate law is in a sense a mesh between the two.

ReputationRep:
    i chose what im good at, coz im a gigalo, so im good at it.he he he he, dont tell the clowns.

ReputationRep:
    sings:
    *i want to be a hippy and i want to get stoned*

ReputationRep:
    sorry if someone has already said this (i haven't read the whole thread) but there's no option which says: 'because you enjoy what you've chosen'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    sorry if someone has already said this (i haven't read the whole thread) but there's no option which says: 'because you enjoy what you've chosen'
    Yeah, edders said that was too easy a choice and that most people would pick it (I know I would have!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    What was the thinking process that led you to your current plans for the future? What's the main critereon for what you want to do? Money, prestige, stability, social worth? Do tell.

Personally, I want to become a scientist because new research can leave a lasting, beneficial legacy to society.
    I would like to become a pharmacist and wanted to become a doctor so that i could contribute to society my help,support,love and experiences to the less fortunate than me but at the end of the day who cares?Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Yeah, edders said that was too easy a choice and that most people would pick it (I know I would have!).

doh! sorry, yeh of course!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad so many folk are interested in teaching, and you're all intelligent and I know you'll all have loads to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    What was the thinking process that led you to your current plans for the future? What's the main critereon for what you want to do? Money, prestige, stability, social worth? Do tell.

Personally, I want to become a scientist because new research can leave a lasting, beneficial legacy to society.
    ummm, tough decisions there, but id still go for the money, i mean, thats the only reason why one erally works, if the job is good then thats a bonus, but its all about money nowadays, if thats what you're askin for.

but then agian if it was propa ****, id quit, its a tough 1, actually as long as i enjoy it im happy, being too much into money f***s you up.

ReputationRep:
    its not what your good at that you do for a living, you could be great at maths but absolutly hate it. its what enjoy. not about the money, no point living if your not going to have a career that ure not your going to enjoy...

ReputationRep:
    Not replied to this yet. I want to be a web developer because its what I am good at, but my long term career goal is to run a bus company (I know it will never happen)

ReputationRep:
    There isn't an option in the poll that really applies to me - I don't want to do the career I want to do for the money, or the prestige, or because my parents want me too. I want to do it because i'll enjoy doing it and enjoy doing most things about it, not just problem solving and overcoming challenges, or providing a service etc. I couldn't pick one reason from the poll.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a doctor (and hopefully only 2 years until my dream is realised).

Combination of reasons -
    - people orientated
    - something I'm fascinated in and will therefore hopefully enjoy
    - job satisfaction
    - job security (I hope!)
    - ever evolving and new developments
    and lots of other reasons ...

however, i must go and revise as I'm in the middle of exams, and don't want to destroy my career plans before they've started.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.