Studying Mathematics at University

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and studying AS and A2 Maths, AS Further Maths AS Physics and BTEC Level 3 Engineering with targets of straight As at AS with >95 UMS targets in all the Math Units. I wish to study Mathematics at a high tier University (as high as possible) but I didn't put much effort into GCSEs getting 1A* 3As 5Bs and D 😔 will this be a problem when trying to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Bath and the likes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fugro123)
    I'm currently in year 12 and studying AS and A2 Maths, AS Further Maths AS Physics and BTEC Level 3 Engineering with targets of straight As at AS with >95 UMS targets in all the Math Units. I wish to study Mathematics at a high tier University (as high as possible) but I didn't put much effort into GCSEs getting 1A* 3As 5Bs and D 😔 will this be a problem when trying to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Bath and the likes?
    Apart from Cambridge, the other unis don't look at GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Apart from Cambridge, the other unis don't look at GCSE grades.
    Awesome good to hear! How much do Cambridge look at it like will I not get in with those or will it just be a possible decision maker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awesome good to hear! How much do Cambridge look at it like will I not get in with those or will it just be a possible decision maker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Zacken could probably answer this far better than me

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge and ICL place a fair amount of emphasis on GCSEs but I don't see why you'd have a problem getting into one of the others

ReputationRep:
    I thought Cambridge looked at AS UMS not GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Oxbridge and ICL place a fair amount of emphasis on GCSEs but I don't see why you'd have a problem getting into one of the others
    ICL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    ICL?
    Imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Imperial
    Aah

ReputationRep:
    You will really need FM at full A-Level for Cambridge. That's more important than GCSEs (which Cambridge is not that interested in).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You will really need FM at full A-Level for Cambridge. That's more important than GCSEs (which Cambridge is not that interested in).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. It's Oxford that's more interested in GCSE's right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Currently yes. However cambridge still look at them as the process is holistic and with as ums potentially not existing for mos subjects (unless they do a lot of messing around with the raw scores) i guess its possible that for some subjects gcses will be slightly more inportant than they once were. This probably doesnt apply for maths, at least not yet as they will still have as ums this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Currently yes. However cambridge still look at them as the process is holistic and with as ums potentially not existing for mos subjects (unless they do a lot of messing around with the raw scores) i guess its possible that for some subjects gcses will be slightly more inportant than they once were. This probably doesnt apply for maths, at least not yet as they will still have as ums this year
    No, Cambridge ATs on TSR have said GCSEs will not be more important than previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oxford is much more interested in the MAT than GCSEs for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, Cambridge ATs on TSR have said GCSEs will not be more important than previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're introducing entry exams right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They're introducing entry exams right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but not for Maths. They still have STEP as a key selection requirement.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ns-assessments

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is much more interested in the MAT than GCSEs for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But MAT is so easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will be doing the full A2 in Further Maths next year just I'm doing the A2 Maths this year so I can do an AS in Additional Further Maths also next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will be doing the full A2 in Further Maths next year just I'm doing the A2 Maths this year so I can do an AS in Additional Further Maths also next year
    Then you're good to go

Also, check out the STEP prep thread (although not a priority until next year!):
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3478331

ReputationRep:
    Then you're good to go

Also, check out the STEP prep thread (although not a priority until next year!):
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3478331
    Alright sweet cheers for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.