Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been revising my applied unit and I am trying to come up with all the factors that maximise the energy stored in a rotating flywheel.
    Right now I've got the following points:
    -High rotational velocity because KE is proportional to the square of the rotational velocity.
    -Low density - which means smaller mass and greater radius which would lead to smaller centripetal force on the wheel which prevents the wheel being rip apart
    -High tensile strength - again prevents being rip apart

Please could anyone come up with any more? Also please correct me if I am wrong about any of the points above.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done moment of inertia yet?
    The point about density might be developed further, looking at the design of flywheels on the large static engines they uses to use in cotton mills could help, the engineers that designed those had constraints on material use / mass and the top speed of the wheel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.