Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i mainly understand the krebs cycle but could anyone tell me the amounts of reduced FAD and reduced NAD produced from each acetyl CoA??

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 reduced NAD and 1 reduced FAD.

Basically that happens is....

The actylcoenzyme from the link reaction reacts with the 4C molecule oxaloacetate.
    This makes a 6C molecule called citrate. Citrate is decarboxylated and reduced. This is where the 1st reduced NAD is used.

Then the 5carbon molecule made from this is further reduced by a 2nd Reduced Nad and is is also decarboxlated.

The 4carbon molecule is then reduced by the 3rd Nad and is also reduced by reduced FAD. ATP is also made here from ADP + Pi.

This regenerates the oxaloacetate and the cycle starts again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cilla_e)
    There are 3 reduced NAD and 1 reduced FAD.

Basically that happens is....

The actylcoenzyme from the link reaction reacts with the 4C molecule oxaloacetate.
    This makes a 6C molecule called citrate. Citrate is decarboxylated and reduced. This is where the 1st reduced NAD is used.

Then the 5carbon molecule made from this is further reduced by a 2nd Reduced Nad and is is also decarboxlated.

The 4carbon molecule is then reduced by the 3rd Nad and is also reduced by reduced FAD. ATP is also made here from ADP + Pi.

This regenerates the oxaloacetate and the cycle starts again.
    WOAH, careful.

Citrate is NOT reduced. Citrate is oxidised to Oxaloacetate.

Citrate is oxidised because it reduces NAD+ to NADH (i.e. reduced NAD)
    And it also reduces FAD+ to FADH2 (i.e. reduced FAD)

There is no reduced NAD or reduced FAD used in this cycle; it's made in the cycle, and used in the ETC.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.