Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am not sure if i should do a 2 year Diphe Operating department practice course or become a trainee Dental nurse (12-18 months course). For ODP, I have to do exams, assignments, OSCEs and i think it's kind of same for Dental Nursing too. For ODP i need to do maths exams and maybe a science as well but I am really bad at maths. I struggle with even basic maths so I am scared I will fail. However, since it is a NHS course it will be easier to get a job if only i do well and even the pay is really good. I am scared what if ODP is too hard for me but I think with dental nursing I will be worried about money my whole life and won't be able to buy a nice house or car for myself. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of bad reviews about dental nursing like how they get paid so less and it's hard to find a job. I just don't know what to do with my life. T.TIf there are any Dental Nurses or ODPs could you please give me some suggestions, explain about your role or maybe even share your experiences. Thank you very much!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by roro123.)
    Hi, I am not sure if i should do a 2 year Diphe Operating department practice course or become a trainee Dental nurse (12-18 months course). For ODP, I have to do exams, assignments, OSCEs and i think it's kind of same for Dental Nursing too. For ODP i need to do maths exams and maybe a science as well but I am really bad at maths. I struggle with even basic maths so I am scared I will fail. However, since it is a NHS course it will be easier to get a job if only i do well and even the pay is really good. I am scared what if ODP is too hard for me but I think with dental nursing I will be worried about money my whole life and won't be able to buy a nice house or car for myself. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of bad reviews about dental nursing like how they get paid so less and it's hard to find a job. I just don't know what to do with my life. T.TIf there are any Dental Nurses or ODPs could you please give me some suggestions, explain about your role or maybe even share your experiences. Thank you very much!
    Both of these courses lead to very different careers, and I would recommend getting some work experience or shadowing of both if you can (or even arranging to speak with an ODP for example) to get a a better insight into which of these careers suits you. For both courses you will have to do some level of maths and science, it really is unavoidable in any sort of healthcare profession and the only thing I can suggest if you are struggling that much is arranging tutoring or working through maths/science tests online to try and build your confidence. Discussion with the course tutors for dental and ODP should give you a bit of an insight into what level of maths skills are actually required.

At the end of the day, you have to turn up to this job every day possibly for the rest of your life, and taking a job you don't feel any passion for just to be more financially comfortable is a bad idea. Yes, it is important to consider finance, but that shouldn't be a key factor in deciding what career is right for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.