Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've been offered a place for Maths (Bsc) from both Nottingham (A*AA) and Birmingham uni (AAA). I'm trying to decide which one to firm as I have visited and like both of them. I've also looked at some league tables and they seem pretty similar. Any help on which one you would choose? I would prefer whichever uni has a better reputation for Maths and where my career prospects are better, as the campus and student life are good in both.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any career plans?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty open to any career options (apart from teaching lol). Ideally I want a job with good pay, good company etc. I know that the top maths unis that successful companies are more likely to hire from are warwick, oxbridge and london unis , but in a hypothetical situation, would someone who is hiring for say an investment banking or actuary job consider me if I went to bham over notts (or vice versa)?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Nottingham is more renowned if you want to get into investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard Jihadi John is from Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreya2706)
    I'm pretty open to any career options (apart from teaching lol). Ideally I want a job with good pay, good company etc. I know that the top maths unis that successful companies are more likely to hire from are warwick, oxbridge and london unis , but in a hypothetical situation, would someone who is hiring for say an investment banking or actuary job consider me if I went to bham over notts (or vice versa)?
    Okay, from the perspective of 'Big Employers' such as FTSE 100 companies, University reputation/Course & Grades are like a filtering system to weed out any 'undesirable' applicants. Now you must be able to understand where the University's Reputation trumps others. For example, I know a handful of Maths Graduates from the University of Greenwich who worked at GSK as Data Analysts/Analytics and have moved on to more senior roles at other companies, some are at babcock international, others contracting for big firms on £300 a day. Some of these Graduates obtained a 1st, some obtained a 2:1, all of these were from Greenwich, a University not remotely considered amongst the elite. However, course content matters a great deal. Greenwich's maths course heavily emphasise numerical and computational mathematics modules with a variety of softwares from excel to matlab to R which are both highly employable. I know a student who obtained 95% on his degree and even did a masters at Cambridge and it took him a year to secure a mediocre paid job because he didn't possess the social skills and have the experience.

My point is this. They are both great University's, Nottingham trumps Birmingham in terms of reputation, but to the working world the University's reputation between the two isn't a deciding factor between two applicants, what is important is the contacts the university may have and this is something I just don't know. However, if you are sociable, academically successful and network constantly, the two should be that much different. What you should consider however, is this course programme, are the modules relevant to a career you wish to pursue? Do they bolster highly employable skills such as programming? Will you take part in extra curricular activities? Will you do a placement for experience? These are the questions you should be asking. I have however been told that certain jobs only employ applicants with flawless track records like R&D companies based in cambridge desiring 10 A* gcses, 4 A* A-level, 1st from oxbridge/nottingham/UCL/Imperial.... Therefore, you must research the field you want to be in and look at the very top, the answers will come to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.