Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any bandwidth or Internet restrictions within dorms at Cambridge.

At the moment this is being of my decision factors in whether or not to live in a college (in my case Wolfson) or live externally.

I've been reading around and cannot find much information except here, https://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/sites/...Use-Policy.pdf , which states there is a 10GB monthly limit, which means I'll run out of internet in the first week of the month. That's because I do everything on my PC, stream, TV, music, game.

Has anyone come across this in their college or at Wolfson? How have you had to deal with it.

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's pretty harsh if true. Colleges often have 'just in case' rules i.e. rules that seem silly but are not enforced unless you're being especially annoying and they want to have something to threaten you with. I can't comment on the situation at Wolfson though.

I was basically constantly streaming tv shows or youtube videos and never heard anything, but this was at Oxford.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by aware1)

At the moment this is being of my decision factors in whether or not to live in a college (in my case Wolfson) or live externally.

I've been reading around and cannot find much information except here, https://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/sites/...Use-Policy.pdf , which states there is a 10GB monthly limit, which means I'll run out of internet in the first week of the month. That's because I do everything on my PC, stream, TV, music, game.

Has anyone come across this in their college or at Wolfson? How have you had to deal with it.

Thanks
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's pretty harsh if true. Colleges often have 'just in case' rules i.e. rules that seem silly but are not enforced unless you're being especially annoying and they want to have something to threaten you with. I can't comment on the situation at Wolfson though.

I was basically constantly streaming tv shows or youtube videos and never heard anything, but this was at Oxford.
    ^this

And maybe look at an unlimited phone data plan if the college wi-fi proves problematic.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Some colleges do send you a warning if your usage is approaching their limit and charge you extra if you exceed it.
    You'll have to ask your college directly about what rule they have and how they operate.

But one thing to bear in mind is that you probably won't have as much time as you have now to spend time for stream/tv/music/game on pc once you start at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I realise I'm a bit late on this, but you didn't really get an answer. So Wolfson no longer meters the internet, and after a short spell with a lot of network problems and a big upgrade of the internet switches, it is now effectively unlimited - so no problem there!

Also, I would STRONGLY recommend living in College. You're unlikely to find anything anywhere else that turns out to be cheaper, and it will limit your social involvement in College a bit as it's just not the same if you don't live on site.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.