Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out if this is doable. I have an interview at City University for a funded PhD position (at the agreed London rate of £16,057 per year) and I need to know if I can actually afford to live in London on that? If I can't or would have to live in a hovel then I need to know. I don't want to spend 3 years without a life due to being horribly poor.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am on a funded PhD Position at a lower rate than you are being offered while being in London, at £14,057 i think it is and I am able to live comfortably, on saying that I live at home and pay no rent. Those expenses are designed for you to be able to live, so you should be able to find a place in halls or an apartment of some sort whether shared or studio. Then again, my travel is also cheaper than yours since I am only using zone 2-3 and I am sure city is through zone 1, which escalates it a lot. Being on a funded phd course you should have the opportunity to teach or invigilate. you can also work a weekend job too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexgilder)
    Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out if this is doable. I have an interview at City University for a funded PhD position (at the agreed London rate of £16,057 per year) and I need to know if I can actually afford to live in London on that? If I can't or would have to live in a hovel then I need to know. I don't want to spend 3 years without a life due to being horribly poor.
    It's certainly doable if you are just renting a room in a shared property and with that figure you wouldn't have to go for the worst room in the worst location, you might also be able to consider some studios, certainly a one bed flat would be a stretch though.

ReputationRep:
    I did this with kids, but relied on additional contributions from spouse and family. Not easy, but you just do what you have to do, for a fixed term, as it's an amazing opportunity.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.