Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've had an unconditional offer from UCLAN to do a BA hons in Building Surveying starting 2016 and would like to hear from others who are due to start or who have already completed the course.

I would really like to know how you found the course / tutors / facilities and if you've already graduate, whether you have managed to get a job relationg to the degree.

I'm really in tow minds about actually doing the degree as I'm concerned I will be in a load of debt after it and unable to find a job.

Any advice much appreciated.

D.

ReputationRep:
    Im 27 and had an offer for civil engineering MENG but I'm switching to building surveying. I wouldn't worry about finding employment. See you in sept!
    (Original post by din go dave)
    Hi,

I've had an unconditional offer from UCLAN to do a BA hons in Building Surveying starting 2016 and would like to hear from others who are due to start or who have already completed the course.

I would really like to know how you found the course / tutors / facilities and if you've already graduate, whether you have managed to get a job relationg to the degree.

I'm really in tow minds about actually doing the degree as I'm concerned I will be in a load of debt after it and unable to find a job.

Any advice much appreciated.

D.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. Why have you decided to switch courses ?

(Original post by Denzel89)
    Im 27 and had an offer for civil engineering MENG but I'm switching to building surveying. I wouldn't worry about finding employment. See you in sept!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya pal, Not been on much lately, mad busy with work. I'm switching because i don't particularly want to be stuck in an office somewhere doing beam calculations, id much rather be out and about looking at buildings.

Im not really that fussed about how they are built, id just like to get involved with the management of them, be it leases, conservation, remediation, disputes, insurance claims etc, this is a pretty recent change of mind after recently working with a surveyor on flood damaged buildings.

And another thing, i don't consider the student finance debt at all, for one if your not earning you don't pay it back and if you are earning it is re-paid in pitifully small amounts. Im borrowing 65k and ill repay £7.50 a month when i leave......if that was for a mortgage it would be around 60x that amount.

(Original post by din go dave)
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. Why have you decided to switch courses ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Dave, Denzel
    I've just finished the foundation year for Building Surveying at UCLan, and will be starting the first year in Sept. Actually I've changed it to Quantity Surveying but we'll share the first year with Building Surveyors, Construction Project Managers and Facilities Managers, So i'll be seeing you both there.
    I'll be 40 by Sept and there is a good mix of younger and mature students, and we've all got on really well. There are some really good lecturers and some who aren't very good (but at least two of them you won't have to deal with), the facilities aren't bad and you will certainly learn a lot whilst you're there.
    Pretty sure the timetable for this Sept is definitely all day Mon and Tues with possibly a little bit on Wed, but that's it for the week. I had Wed, Thur, Fri last year a total of 12 hours of lectures, so you're not actually there for much of the week. Seen on another of your posts about working, you'll have plenty of time to work and still enjoy yourself whilst doing it.
    As has been said about being in debt, if you earn below £21k you don't pay anything back, £30k is around £67 a month and £50k is around £200 a month, so you won't really notice.
    Any more questions just give me a shout.

Jono.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H4NS0L0)
    Hey Dave, Denzel
    I've just finished the foundation year for Building Surveying at UCLan, and will be starting the first year in Sept. Actually I've changed it to Quantity Surveying but we'll share the first year with Building Surveyors, Construction Project Managers and Facilities Managers, So i'll be seeing you both there.
    I'll be 40 by Sept and there is a good mix of younger and mature students, and we've all got on really well. There are some really good lecturers and some who aren't very good (but at least two of them you won't have to deal with), the facilities aren't bad and you will certainly learn a lot whilst you're there.
    Pretty sure the timetable for this Sept is definitely all day Mon and Tues with possibly a little bit on Wed, but that's it for the week. I had Wed, Thur, Fri last year a total of 12 hours of lectures, so you're not actually there for much of the week. Seen on another of your posts about working, you'll have plenty of time to work and still enjoy yourself whilst doing it.
    As has been said about being in debt, if you earn below £21k you don't pay anything back, £30k is around £67 a month and £50k is around £200 a month, so you won't really notice.
    Any more questions just give me a shout.

Jono.
    Hi Jono,thanks for your reply.I sent you a PM.DD.

ReputationRep:
    There is a serious shortage of surveyors of all types and construction professionals in general so I wouldn't worry too much about finding a job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.