A2 Level Key Essay Structures

Watch this thread
elen90
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm studying Edexcel French and for the discursive essay 15 out of the total 45 marks are for the quality of language - i.e. how the grammar is manipulated. This probably also applies to other exam boards.

If done correctly, using complex grammatical structures can really help you gain the top grades. So I'm trying to compile a list of such structures, where I will include as many as possible in my essay (obviously the word count can limit the total usage).

Think of anything that I've missed? Let me know and I'll add it on!

> Object pronoun (direct/indirect)
> Idiom
> 'If' clause
> Conditional
> Subjunctive
> Passive and/or Perfect
> Present Participle
> Future
> Reflexive verb
> Superlative
> Direct/indirect articles
> Good negatives (ne... que, ne... jamais, etc.)
> Question
odjack
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I think they quite like sinon + futur because it's a good way to be hypothetical and get in a future tense.
E.g. Il faut que tout le monde fasse quelque chose. Sinon, la pollution ira de pire en pire!

'Après avoir' is a particular favourite of mine.
E.g. Après avoir lu un article dans un journal, je me suis rendu compte...(etc)

Or future perfect.
E.g. Je l'aurai déjà fait quand tu arriveras.

That's all I can think of that you haven't already mentioned! I'm pretty jealous you get so many marks for structures actually. I'd say it's one of my strengths but it only gets you up to 5/40 marks in our essays
rileystringer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by odjack)
I think they quite like sinon + futur because it's a good way to be hypothetical and get in a future tense.
E.g. Il faut que tout le monde fasse quelque chose. Sinon, la pollution ira de pire en pire!

'Après avoir' is a particular favourite of mine.
E.g. Après avoir lu un article dans un journal, je me suis rendu compte...(etc)

Or future perfect.
E.g. Je l'aurai déjà fait quand tu arriveras.

That's all I can think of that you haven't already mentioned! I'm pretty jealous you get so many marks for structures actually. I'd say it's one of my strengths but it only gets you up to 5/40 marks in our essays
I wouldn't say "La pollution ira de pire en pire". I'd say "La pollution deviendra un plus grand problème"

It's good to use some of these: celui/celle/celles/ceux, le mien/le tien/le sien/le nôtre/le vôtre/le leur (obviously these are all the standard masculine singular form), emphatic pronouns (i.e. Personellement, moi, j'essaie de recycler autant que possible)

You could try including some more complex tenses like the perfect and imperfect subjunctive, the passive across different tenses etc.
odjack
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rileystringer1)
I wouldn't say "La pollution ira de pire en pire". I'd say "La pollution deviendra un plus grand problème"

It's good to use some of these: celui/celle/celles/ceux, le mien/le tien/le sien/le nôtre/le vôtre/le leur (obviously these are all the standard masculine singular form), emphatic pronouns (i.e. Personellement, moi, j'essaie de recycler autant que possible)

You could try including some more complex tenses like the perfect and imperfect subjunctive, the passive across different tenses etc.
Merci bcp - I'll take great pleasure in telling my teacher her example sentence is wrong
rileystringer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by odjack)
Merci bcp - I'll take great pleasure in telling my teacher her example sentence is wrong
exemplar sentence*
vas-y !! j'en ai rien à foutre
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads