The Student Room Group

Split contribution help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
OXO 99 ( new name again but it's me again fellow triplet parent )
Student maintenance loans are £ 4750 eldest , £5461 x2 for triplets ( other one not going to uni ) How it was worked out for us below , info supplied after request in writing to SFE , hope this helps !
... you have 4 dependents a disregard of £1130 is given for 3 of them = total disregard £3390. This figure is deducted from your total household income before tax. Household income minus £3390 = residual income to be used to assess all three applications. X has a 2012 cohort Residual income minus £42875 = £xxxxx £xxxxxx /£9.12 (living elsewhere rate) = xxxxxx/3 (3 dependents for disregard) = £xxx household contribution to maintenance loan. This is then deducted from the means tested portion of maintenance loan. Maximum means tested loan for final year student with 2012 cohort = £1967 £1967 - £xxx = means tested maintenance loan entitlement for 17/18 AY. Non means tested loan for final year student with 2012 cohort = £3653 £3653 + balance of means tested loan = total loan payable for 17/18.
Y and Z have a 2016 cohort As household income is over £42875 the income assessed loan reduction is capped at £2164. £42875 - £25000/ £8.26 (elsewhere taper rate) = £2164 For assessed contribution (household contribution to means tested maintenance loan) Residual income - £25000/£8.26 = £xxxx £xxxx- £2164 = £xxxx £xxxx/3 (3 dependents for disregard) = £xxx £xxx is the assessed contribution (household contribution to means tested maintenance loan) for the 17/18 AY. The means tested maintenance loan is reduced by the income assessed loan reduction of £xxxx and the assessed contribution of £xxx .Total reduction = £xxxx Maximum means tested maintenance loan for 2016 cohort living elsewhere = £4502 Means tested maintenance loan = £4502 - £xxxx = means tested maintenance loan for 17/18 Non means tested maintenance loan for 2016 cohort living elsewhere for 17/18 = £3928 £3928 + balance of means tested loan = total loan payable for 17/18.
Our total annual parental contribution should be £7800 ish . Figures are for two of the triplets + older sibling for 2017/2018
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Redwing
OXO 99 ( new name again but it's me again fellow triplet parent )
Student maintenance loans are £ 4750 eldest , £5461 x2 for triplets ( other one not going to uni ) How it was worked out for us below , info supplied after request in writing to SFE , hope this helps !
... you have 4 dependents a disregard of £1130 is given for 3 of them = total disregard £3390. This figure is deducted from your total household income before tax. Household income minus £3390 = residual income to be used to assess all three applications. X has a 2012 cohort Residual income minus £42875 = £xxxxx £xxxxxx /£9.12 (living elsewhere rate) = xxxxxx/3 (3 dependents for disregard) = £xxx household contribution to maintenance loan. This is then deducted from the means tested portion of maintenance loan. Maximum means tested loan for final year student with 2012 cohort = £1967 £1967 - £xxx = means tested maintenance loan entitlement for 17/18 AY. Non means tested loan for final year student with 2012 cohort = £3653 £3653 + balance of means tested loan = total loan payable for 17/18.
Y and Z have a 2016 cohort As household income is over £42875 the income assessed loan reduction is capped at £2164. £42875 - £25000/ £8.26 (elsewhere htaper rate) = £2164 For assessed contribution (household contribution to means tested maintenance loan) Residual income - £25000/£8.26 = £xxxx £xxxx- £2164 = £xxxx £xxxx/3 (3 dependents for disregard) = £xxx £xxx is the assessed contribution (household contribution to means tested maintenance loan) for the 17/18 AY. The means tested maintenance loan is reduced by the income assessed loan reduction of £xxxx and the assessed contribution of £xxx .Total reduction = £xxxx Maximum means tested maintenance loan for 2016 cohort living elsewhere = £4502 Means tested maintenance loan = £4502 - £xxxx = means tested maintenance loan for 17/18 Non means tested maintenance loan for 2016 cohort living elsewhere for 17/18 = £3928 £3928 + balance of means tested loan = total loan payable for 17/18.
Our total annual parental contribution should be £6700 ish . Figures are for two of the triplets + older sibling for 2017/2018

Sounds very complicated! Will get my calculator out and do a bit of number crunching to see if I can get my head round how your figures have been calculated.I guess your situation is a bit more complicated as the rules are different for your eldest. I'm still a bit puzzled by the fact that your annual parental contribution is around £6,700, yet the SFE guidance notes say that the total household contribution can't exceed £6,210!
My boys have now had confirmation of their loan amounts. I used the Student Finance Calculator on the GOV.UK website to get an estimated loan figure. I input our total household income after deduction of the income disregard of £2,260 for 2 students, and this produced a loan figure of £6,426. Two of my boys have had their loans confirmed as exactly this amount. However, their brother's loan is £28 more! His course is a week longer, so that may be the reason why he is receiving more, however £28 isn't going to cover an extra week's accommodation & food. Perhaps I need to make a request in writing to SFE to see if I can find out how the third loan has been calculated.
Original post by OXO99
Two of my boys have had their loans confirmed as exactly this amount. However, their brother's loan is £28 more! His course is a week longer, so that may be the reason why he is receiving more, however £28 isn't going to cover an extra week's accommodation & food. Perhaps I need to make a request in writing to SFE to see if I can find out how the third loan has been calculated.

There is a longer course loan is your course is more than 30 weeks. I seem to remember (I think @murpo may know more than me) it's something like £30 a week for each extra week.
Original post by Tiger Rag
There is a longer course loan is your course is more than 30 weeks. I seem to remember (I think @murpo may know more than me) it's something like £30 a week for each extra week.

Original post by OXO99

For courses longer than 30 weeks and 3 days there is the long course loan that is automatically applied to the assessment

The amount is per week

so example if a student is living at home and there course is longer than 30 weeks and 3 days they would get an extra £59 per week depending on how many extra weeks the course is
Reply 24
Original post by OXO99
Sounds very complicated! Will get my calculator out and do a bit of number crunching to see if I can get my head round how your figures have been calculated.I guess your situation is a bit more complicated as the rules are different for your eldest. I'm still a bit puzzled by the fact that your annual parental contribution is around £6,700, yet the SFE guidance notes say that the total household contribution can't exceed £6,210!
My boys have now had confirmation of their loan amounts. I used the Student Finance Calculator on the GOV.UK website to get an estimated loan figure. I input our total household income after deduction of the income disregard of £2,260 for 2 students, and this produced a loan figure of £6,426. Two of my boys have had their loans confirmed as exactly this amount. However, their brother's loan is £28 more! His course is a week longer, so that may be the reason why he is receiving more, however £28 isn't going to cover an extra week's accommodation & food. Perhaps I need to make a request in writing to SFE to see if I can find out how the third loan has been calculated.

This is what I was told regarding the total contribution can't exceed 6210
". I think you may be confusing the figure for parental contribution with residual income. The parental contribution for means tested support for X is £xxx and for Y and Z it is £xxx per student. In my breakdown it is listed as household contribution. The residual income is the total household income figure minus the disregards given for dependents "
I added up what I regard as our parental contribution i.e. What we will pay above the amount from SFE to give kids the same as those with a full loan and it is £ 7800 a year , I guess it's baked beans on the menu for the next 3 years !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending