Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    essentially: I'm doing AS courses right now, and recently (within the past month) I've discovered a lot about Cambridge and, well, it's turned into a bit of a dream goal. My question basically is: is this realistic? Obviously I can apply to five unis, so it won't be all-or-nothing, but I want to know before I get my hopes up too much.

ok, so some info:

GCSEs
    English Language A*
    Music A*
    English Literature A
    Religious Studies A
    Maths A
    Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Physics A
    History B
    AS IT (took a year early) B
    Product Design C (... i know :/)
    Further Maths C

the reason my GCSEs weren't amazing is because I was struggling with mental health problems at the time, I know there is a form for extenuating circumstances that my GP can fill out for Cambridge

I'm taking AS maths, psychology and sociology in around 5 weeks. I have absolutely no idea what grades to expect, but i'm working my ass off revising right now. I had a blip in my grades for the last few years but in secondary school I got two scholarships so hopefully i'll have bounced back for these exams.
    Next year for A2 i am doing the same courses.

If I were to apply, it would be for psychology and behavioural sciences. I understand there is an early application deadline etc so I sort of need to start making my mind up. I've booked a place on the open day in a couple of months.

So - here I am. I can't help feeling like I'm just not clever enough for Cambridge, as it's never been suggested as an option for me.
    Please - be honest, do I have a chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedrake)
    essentially: I'm doing AS courses right now, and recently (within the past month) I've discovered a lot about Cambridge and, well, it's turned into a bit of a dream goal. My question basically is: is this realistic? Obviously I can apply to five unis, so it won't be all-or-nothing, but I want to know before I get my hopes up too much.

ok, so some info:

GCSEs
    English Language A*
    Music A*
    English Literature A
    Religious Studies A
    Maths A
    Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Physics A
    History B
    AS IT (took a year early) B
    Product Design C (... i know :/)
    Further Maths C

the reason my GCSEs weren't amazing is because I was struggling with mental health problems at the time, I know there is a form for extenuating circumstances that my GP can fill out for Cambridge

I'm taking AS maths, psychology and sociology in around 5 weeks. I have absolutely no idea what grades to expect, but i'm working my ass off revising right now. I had a blip in my grades for the last few years but in secondary school I got two scholarships so hopefully i'll have bounced back for these exams.
    Next year for A2 i am doing the same courses.

If I were to apply, it would be for psychology and behavioural sciences. I understand there is an early application deadline etc so I sort of need to start making my mind up. I've booked a place on the open day in a couple of months.

So - here I am. I can't help feeling like I'm just not clever enough for Cambridge, as it's never been suggested as an option for me.
    Aim for some high UMS (90+)if you have UMS and start preparing for the tests that you will have. I don't know what you prepare/how but some information should be on the Cambridge website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by louisedrake)

So long as you are on target to achieve the typical offer (usually A*AA for PBS) then, no, you definitely aren't aiming too high.

http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective/howtoapply

And regarding application deadlines, yes, you need to apply Cambridge (or Oxford) by the 15th Oct 2016, but you can add your other universities later at any stage up to 15th Jan 2017. Note you can't change your personal statement or reference when you add the extra unis.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp.

Not at all

Work hard for any AS exams, the admissions tests and the interview
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Go for it! Your GCSEs are fine, what's probably more important are your AS grades and UMS scores. Just focus on your revision for now

Remember that you can apply for five universities, so risking one of your choices on Cambridge isn't too risky really - as long as you pick four other universities asking for around your predicted grades (and preferably one with lower entrance requirements) that you'd be happy to go to then it's worth the chance

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for the boost of confidence! Now back to revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Aim for some high UMS (90+)if you have UMS and start preparing for the tests that you will have. I don't know what you prepare/how but some information should be on the Cambridge website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are good to go. Best of luck but remember Oxbridge is a lottery. Buy a ticket and look at the smart TSR advice. If you grab a place Then fab xx. You are good enough, just remember it is still a LITTLE institutionalised to this day, RESEARCH to improve your chances. Look up the new admissions tests. Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as aiming too high in my opinion! Ambition can help you succeed I'm in a similar situation to you, I got average GCSE results and now I'm working hard at AS hoping to go to Cambridge.

Don't let people put you off by telling you that only geniuses get into Cambridge, my brother got As and Bs at GCSE then worked very hard at A level and he got accepted into Cambridge.

Good luck with you AS levels, I hope you manage to achieve your goal!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    There's no such thing.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp.
    that's why i must earn at least £55,000 a year after tax and day to day spending so i'd have to earn a minimum of £90,000 a year personally from my business and the avarage scope in my form of business is about £70,000 a year total so i'll have to make so massive expansion plans to my current corporate goals

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.