hotliketea
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone could help with several questions I have. I do second year law so I'm happy to help out anyone else in return.

1) Is there a case on a time element of defamation, other than Chattell v Daily Mail? I'm looking for a case that shows that if something is published before information arises that gives that information defamatory meaning, there is no action. The exact scenario is that a book about XB is published, and several years later a similarly named person, who has similar characteristics to the person in the book, rises to fame, and tries to claim defamation.

2) Can a defamation claim run alongside a misuse of private information claim? How could they be distinguished?

3) Is there no defence under defamation specifically aimed at protecting cultural expression? I'm again thinking about the first scenario - if a book happens to mention a person very similar to a person who is alive, how could a defamation claim be defended? All I can think is Article 10 ECHR, but I'm not entirely sure how courts bring this into their arguments.

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.43%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
28.57%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.57%
No, I haven't received any communication (18)
51.43%

Watched Threads