Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    What does everyone think of short stories? On the one hand, my favourite ever book is a collection of short stories (The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter) but on the other hand I barely ever pick up any other collections - and if I do I never read them all!

I just think because they're not an ongoing story it's too easy to put the book down and never pick it up again. What does everyone else think? Do you have a favourite collection of short stories?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    What does everyone think of short stories? On the one hand, my favourite ever book is a collection of short stories (The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter) but on the other hand I barely ever pick up any other collections - and if I do I never read them all!

I just think because they're not an ongoing story it's too easy to put the book down and never pick it up again. What does everyone else think? Do you have a favourite collection of short stories?
    I've always preferred full novels to short stories.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad

I absolutely love The Bloody Chamber

ReputationRep:

I've just started reading The Bloody Chamber! Not far enough in it yet to give an opinion but I've heard it's really good and I'm pumped to get into it!
    I don't often read short stories, but I've really enjoyed Robot Uprisings (https://wordery.com/robot-uprisings-9781471134371) and My True Love Gave to Me (https://wordery.com/my-true-love-gav...-9781447272816)
    I do find it much easier to read short stories when I get around to reading them because, like you said, it is a lot easier to take breaks between stories and there's less pressure to finish a book in one sitting!

ReputationRep:
    I never appreciated short stories until I read Roald Dahl's collection when I was eleven, now they're probably my favourite type of stories!

I just have to recommend Adam Marek's two collections: The Stone Thrower and An Instruction Manual for Swallowing. They're mostly very, very weird (stories about robot wasps, zombie cafes, in-growing cutlery, talking centipedes, tamagotchis that spread AIDS, superhero dictators, etc etc), sometimes futuristic, and written in such a delicious, simple style.

If you like other strange story collections, I also recommend We Don't Know What We're Doing by Thomas Morris :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.