Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'll be at UCL for my first year soon. I don't have a Facebook; I deleted it about a year ago because I simply wasn't using it and it seemed very pointless to me. I'm a little bit concerned because many people are saying that Facebook is central to student life at uni as it's where events are advertised and it's a good way to connect with other students. Will I really put myself at a social disadvantage by not having one?

I have other forms of social media, like Instagram, just not Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Not having Facebook is smart. You could always make an account without any friends on it just to follow the events!! As long as you have a phone, you can communicate with others, and having a Facebook will just cause you to waste time on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_gue)
    Hi, I'll be at UCL for my first year soon. I don't have a Facebook; I deleted it about a year ago because I simply wasn't using it and it seemed very pointless to me. I'm a little bit concerned because many people are saying that Facebook is central to student life at uni as it's where events are advertised and it's a good way to connect with other students. Will I really put myself at a social disadvantage by not having one?

I have other forms of social media, like Instagram, just not Facebook.
    It's fine, it's true many societies will post what's going on on Facebook but your likely to hear about it through other people too. You can survive without Facebook, i did.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be harder. You'll meet a lot of people freshers, it's much easier to just give them an add on facebook. You'll probably forget half of them unless they pop up anyway. Some websites do a better job at informing students about events etc but nothing beats facebook for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.