Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am in college (18yo) and have come across the opportunity for some developing work once I leave. The work I would be doing will, for the main part, be C# and MySQL. I'm going to meet the person running the place In a few weeks to get some more info and I have been thinking about producing a portfolio of the work I have done so far. ( I have two big projects and few smaller ones I would like to show off)

I don't know if they will be expecting a portfolio considering Im only 18 and just leaving college? ( Obviously this is new to me and Dev is actually my backup career as I am planning on going on to do something else, but this opportunity is great if anything were to stop my primary career getting started.)

Anyway, I was thinking about presenting my portfolio via a website but I have only very basic HTML and CSS skills. If i were to use a template would this be looked down upon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Herkins)
    Hello all,

I am in college (18yo) and have come across the opportunity for some developing work once I leave. The work I would be doing will, for the main part, be C# and MySQL. I'm going to meet the person running the place In a few weeks to get some more info and I have been thinking about producing a portfolio of the work I have done so far. ( I have two big projects and few smaller ones I would like to show off)

I don't know if they will be expecting a portfolio considering Im only 18 and just leaving college? ( Obviously this is new to me and Dev is actually my backup career as I am planning on going on to do something else, but this opportunity is great if anything were to stop my primary career getting started.)

Anyway, I was thinking about presenting my portfolio via a website but I have only very basic HTML and CSS skills. If i were to use a template would this be looked down upon?
    I don't think they'l be bothered. Though the template might put him off a bit if hes looking for a dev with some web development skills which is pretty common. Just don't mention you used a template for the portfolio site unless he asks. You might want to work on this as a developer the lines between web dev and traditional development are becoming more blurred - devs need a working knowledge of web development imo.

If hes technical don't be afraid to get technical / name the technologies Winforms/WPF/entity framework, ADO.NET etc you used. He'l then know you are serious and it might tick a few mental check-boxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    I don't think they'l be bothered. Though the template might put him off a bit if hes looking for a dev with some web development skills which is pretty common. Just don't mention you used a template for the portfolio site unless he asks. You might want to work on this as a developer the lines between web dev and traditional development are becoming more blurred - devs need a working knowledge of web development imo.

If hes technical don't be afraid to get technical / name the technologies Winforms/WPF/entity framework, ADO.NET etc you used. He'l then know you are serious and it might tick a few mental check-boxes.
    Thanks for your opinion and advice
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    .NET isn't my area unfortunately, but I would look for a tool that allows importing portfolios and previewing them. Or perhaps an interface where the user can navigate through the various portfolios and export them into, for example, a PDF file. It should be fairly straightforward following the instructions without requiring much advanced knowledge in web applications development.

I have already seen many examples of this on the internet. I imagine that some of the more simple ones involve installing an application, adding files, previewing and cycling through them and allowing the files to be downloaded.

I have seen other instances where the website is more of a blog/article based, where the user can select a particular entry (perhaps through the title of the page), read through the summary and download the portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    .NET isn't my area unfortunately, but I would look for a tool that allows importing portfolios and previewing them. Or perhaps an interface where the user can navigate through the various portfolios and export them into, for example, a PDF file. It should be fairly straightforward following the instructions without requiring much advanced knowledge in web applications development.

I have already seen many examples of this on the internet. I imagine that some of the more simple ones involve installing an application, adding files, previewing and cycling through them and allowing the files to be downloaded.

I have seen other instances where the website is more of a blog/article based, where the user can select a particular entry (perhaps through the title of the page), read through the summary and download the portfolio.
    Ah okay, Ill have a look into that thanks

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd use a template!

ReputationRep:
    Yeap, go for a pre-designed template supplied by http://www.templatemonster.com/moto-cms-3-templates.php . I used one of them to create my portfolio website. It was an easy process of setting my own website.

ReputationRep:
    1. I personally just finished etting up my own portfolio with the help of one of this portfolio oriented website builders - http://www.webbuildersguide.com/webs...for-portfolio/. It seems to have all the options I need to ceate a powerful portfolio.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.