Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 32 and been offered an unconditional place to do a 3 year Building Surveying degree.

I have been in full time employment for the last 10 years so rather than stopping work altogether, I want to work 2 days a week to bring some money in.Is working 2 days alongside a full time degree unrealistic?Many thanksD.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's unrealistic; i'm not a mature student but i work at least 1 shift a week every week. Most students i know have a part-time job. In first year especially, the work load of a degree isn't that heavy, you should be fine. What i would say is if you have a lot of exams then if you could get time off around this time it may be beneficial. But if you manage your time well working 2 days a week really shouldnt be a problem, as i said many people do it.

The only thing maybe would be fitting this in with lectures if you need to work weekdays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by din go dave)
    Hi,

I'm 32 and been offered an unconditional place to do a 3 year Building Surveying degree.

I have been in full time employment for the last 10 years so rather than stopping work altogether, I want to work 2 days a week to bring some money in.Is working 2 days alongside a full time degree unrealistic?Many thanksD.
    It honestly depends on the degree, if your timetable is 5 days a week, 9-5 then it might be difficult but most courses are not like that so i say working two days is completely fine. A lot of students do that

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You'd need a very understanding employer. You won't get your lecture timetable until very near the start of term, so you won't get much time to organise which days you'll be working. Plus uni timetables can be very variable - you can't guarantee that you'll have the same two days free every week. And as the above poster says, it will depend how your courses is organised, as to whether it will be possible to take two days a week away from uni work.

I've certainly known someone have to give up their degree because the timetable kept changing. Their employer got fed up with changing their working days and the uni started to complain about them missing lectures/seminars. Eventually, he had to choose between them.

Bear in mind that uni study is designed to be full-time. With two working days as well, you'll need to ensure that you allow yourself some down time or you'll burn out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I completed a teaching degree at the IOE, which was classed as full time one day a week. They explained the work load in detail before we started. I worked 4 full days and went night school for one of them days to study maths. I graduated in 2013 with a 2-1
    When I look back I don't really know how I managed it. Pure determination I think. Good luck it can be done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I work 40 hours a week at a school while studying a degree full-time with the OU. It is possible, but you will have to make sacrifices, be organised, and most of all disciplined. I think you will be fine, so long as you have the commitment and flexibility needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Андрей)
    I work 40 hours a week at a school while studying a degree full-time with the OU. It is possible, but you will have to make sacrifices, be organised, and most of all disciplined. I think you will be fine, so long as you have the commitment and flexibility needed.
    That's amazing! Congratulations.

It's worth bearing in mind that with the OU, you can work when it suits you as long as you deliver to their deadlines. With a brick uni, there will be a set timetable of lectures, seminars and tutorials which aren't negotiable. Plus some unis have a minimum attendance requirement.

ReputationRep:
    for a few months last semester i was working 34 hours/week and very rarely 42h/week, while doing an engineering degree - third year!! it was not in the exam period though. i goat upper 2:1 for that semester.

my shifts were 5pm - 1,30am.

so yea, it is possible. just needs more effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y0_3mma)
    for a few months last semester i was working 34 hours/week and very rarely 42h/week, while doing an engineering degree - third year!! it was not in the exam period though. i goat upper 2:1 for that semester.

my shifts were 5pm - 1,30am.

so yea, it is possible. just needs more effort.
    Congrats Emma ! Your hardwork paid off
    Which uni did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    That's amazing! Congratulations.

It's worth bearing in mind that with the OU, you can work when it suits you as long as you deliver to their deadlines. With a brick uni, there will be a set timetable of lectures, seminars and tutorials which aren't negotiable. Plus some unis have a minimum attendance requirement.
    Quite right, the OU's format is distance-learning, so it is much better suited for people who work and or have other commitments while they are studying. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Emma ! Your hardwork paid off
    Which uni did you go to?
    Uni of Manchester. Will graduate in July

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y0_3mma)
    Uni of Manchester. Will graduate in July
    Awesome ! Are you a mature student too?
    Have you got work in your chosen field lined up?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.