Complex numbers Watch

Lunu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does Re(z)Im(z) + iIm(z) = xy +iy

If this is true then why can't I prove it's differentiable?
u(x,y) = xy and v(x,y) = y

∂u/∂x = y
∂u/∂y = x
∂v/∂x = 0
∂v/∂y = 1

I must have done something wrong because the Cauchy- Riemann equations won't hold and it says it's differentiable in the question.
Lunu
Rep:
?
Can anyone answer if Re(z)Im(z) + iIm(z) = xy + iy?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)
Apologies for butting my unknowledgeable head in but I don't know much, if any, complex analysis so will be useless. Here's my attempt anyway (until somebody who knows anything pops by): Are you sure your thing is differentiable? Because I know that \Re (z) isn't differentiable and it's making me doubt the differentiability of your expression, so I was wondering if you could upload a picture or such of the entire question.
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I don't think that sounds right. Unless I've gotten my numbers wrong, take this for example:

z=3+2i
x=3,y=2
re(z)=3,im(z)=2
re(z)im(z)+iim(z)=3*2+2i=6+2i

If the CR relations don't hold, then it's not complex differentiable everywhere. It sounds like your question is wrong if it says it is differentiable everywhere!

EDIT: Math12345 is correct, I have also added in the word "everywhere" to my post.
poorform
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)

If this is true then why can't I prove it's differentiable?
u(x,y) = xy and v(x,y) = y

∂u/∂x = y
∂u/∂y = x
∂v/∂x = 0
∂v/∂y = 1

I must have done something wrong because the Cauchy- Riemann equations won't hold and it says it's differentiable in the question.
Post photo of question please.
Lunu
Rep:
?
Show thatf(z) = Re(z)Im(z) + iIm(z)is differentiable at only one point in C, and find this point. I think this point must be z=0?
Math12345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is complex differentiable where the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold. y=1 and x=0. So the point is (0,1).
Lunu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Math12345)
It is differentiable where the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold. y=1 and x=0. So the point is (0,1).
Thank you!!
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)
Show thatf(z) = Re(z)Im(z) + iIm(z)is differentiable at only one point in C, and find this point. I think this point must be z=0?
Seriously? This is very different to the question you originally asked. Urgh.
Lunu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Seriously? This is very different to the question you originally asked. Urgh.
I'm sorry I didn't understand the question at all so I got confused.
Math12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From the working out in the op, it was obvious the question was at what points is the function complex differentiable at.
Math12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)
Actually isn't it (0, -1)?
Look at the Cauchy- Riemann equations
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)
I'm sorry I didn't understand the question at all so I got confused.
Don't worry about being confused and making a mistake, we're here to help you. The only thing that matters is you understand the question and what to do now!

Also the CR relations are: du/dx=dv/dy and du/dy=-dv/dx. So I think (0,1) is correct.
Lunu
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Don't worry about being confused and making a mistake, we're here to help you. The only thing that matters is you understand the question and what to do now!

Also the CR relations are: du/dx=dv/dy and du/dy=-dv/dx. So I think (0,1) is correct.
Thanks
poorform
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)
Thanks
Keep in mind Cauchy-Riemann must hold for f to be complex differentiable at a point but it is not sufficient to show differentiability at a point. (That is there are functions that satisfy C-R at a point but are not differentiable at said point).

To ensure complex differentiability you need to make sure C-R is satisfied and the partial derivatives are also continuous.
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lunu)
since the rest of your post (the hard part) has been answered I'm going to go with a tentative 'yes, if z=x+iy'
Gregorius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by poorform)
Keep in mind Cauchy-Riemann must hold for f to be complex differentiable at a point but it is not sufficient to show differentiability at a point. (That is there are functions that satisfy C-R at a point but are not differentiable at said point).

To ensure complex differentiability you need to make sure C-R is satisfied and the partial derivatives are also continuous.
Just to emphasize poorform 's remark and to offer a slight clarification: When one is considering complex differentiability at a point, the CR equations offer a necessary but not sufficient condition for differentiability. So in this problem, use the CR equations to find the only candidate possibilities for pointwise differentiability - and then prove from first principles whether differentiability holds at that point. That is, look at the limit as h \rightarrow 0 of

\displaystyle \frac{f(z+h) - f(z)}{h}

where h = \alpha + i \beta is a general complex number.

So here, you are looking at the limit as  \alpha, \beta \rightarrow 0 of

\displaystyle \frac{f(0 + i + \alpha + i \beta) - f(0 + i)}{\alpha + i \beta}

An analytic (or holomorphic) function is one that is complex differentiable in an open set; this is where one starts to look at the continuity of the partial derivatives in the CR equations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads