Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ok so how do you cope with life being temporary? Watch

ReputationRep:
    so i don't mean in the sense of we live then die, I've already accepted that a long time ago yeah.

but i mean the fact that everything we do is just temporary - the friendships we make, the institutions we go to (e.g. college, uni, school), potentially relationships, the jobs we have, the places we live etc.

I know that it's great that things don't stay the same forever, but this has really started to mess me up lately... i don't see the point in trying to strengthen friendships or in trying to work harder in my studies or to try and discover everything new because i'm just finding it all so futile because it'll never last.

i honestly know this kinda thing is liberating and it's what I tell people when they tell me that they're having problems with life being meaningless, but rn i just ... do anything because im constantly asking what's the pointtttttttttt
    -
    s2fg i feel on the borderline of an existential crisis again and i really dont need one of those rn

ReputationRep:
    Easily

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking about this yesterday and i decided
    you just have to not think about it

ReputationRep:
    To me it sounds like you have a fear similar to mine, which is that when you die, nobody will remember you for anything significant and you'll just be a another forgotten face in a sea of faces.

You're gonna have to try and find meaning in your own life that gives what you do some feeling of permanence. Like, you could work towards bettering the lives of people less fortunate than yourself which would be a nice legacy to leave.

Basically just don't think of everything you do as futile. I've come to realise that through what we do, the things we achieve and how we ultimately live our lives, we influence the people closest to us and those who meet us briefly for better or for worse. For me at least, that little bit of influence that I might have on other people is a little bit of immortality right there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Doesn't bother me at all! :yep: Life is all about experiences imo

ReputationRep:
    Trying not to think about it

ReputationRep:
    I think about this a lot
    Spoiler:
    Show
    then I realise I'm wasting time and should revise for GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    because that's what I've been conditioned to do 0_o
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also ow my brain

ReputationRep:
    I don't care

I live my life knowing it's not going to last so just get on with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    That was a close shave. Thanks for letting us know we should never be friends with you.

ReputationRep:
    You live for the moment. Life is supposed to be a FUN journey! Enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good thing. We would get very bored if things constantly stayed the same.

ReputationRep:
    I life my day as if it was the last

ReputationRep:
    I've had this thought before, and decided that the best thing to do is to make the best of the situation you're in currently. Just because it may ultimately change in the future doesn't make it feel good in the present, and I love me some good times in the present as that is the time period I occupy 100% of the time.

It does sound like you went deeper into this line of thinking than I did though so perhaps my response may not be satisfactory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markreed)
    To me it sounds like you have a fear similar to mine, which is that when you die, nobody will remember you for anything significant and you'll just be a another forgotten face in a sea of faces.

You're gonna have to try and find meaning in your own life that gives what you do some feeling of permanence. Like, you could work towards bettering the lives of people less fortunate than yourself which would be a nice legacy to leave.

Basically just don't think of everything you do as futile. I've come to realise that through what we do, the things we achieve and how we ultimately live our lives, we influence the people closest to us and those who meet us briefly for better or for worse. For me at least, that little bit of influence that I might have on other people is a little bit of immortality right there.
    I wouldn't say I'm directly having this (although parts of it certainly seem that way when i express my feelings) instead rather that i will get to my deathbed and think what was even the point it was all futile

So yeah following from that, although I'd like to help people in certain ways I'm not sure if I'd feel any kinda idk..not happiness..something similar.. from it because then all those people die too.

Yeah I used to have a quote in my signature a long time ago which I enjoyed; "It might be true that there are seven billion people in this world, and counting, but nevertheless -what you do makes a difference. It makes a difference, first of all, in material terms, it makes a difference to other people, and it sets an example." and that used to help me but it's just the idea that at the end of the human race it really all will have been quite useless.

oh jeez ive actually now managed to dig myself into a full on crisis... lmao im sorry everything i've written seems so depressing now

(Original post by thefatone)
    I life my day as if it was the last
    Dear god not that song.

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I've had this thought before, and decided that the best thing to do is to make the best of the situation you're in currently. Just because it may ultimately change in the future doesn't make it feel good in the present, and I love me some good times in the present as that is the time period I occupy 100% of the time.

It does sound like you went deeper into this line of thinking than I did though so perhaps my response may not be satisfactory.
    It's fine, thank you for responding anyway . I agree with what your saying I'm just struggling to realise that recently it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Dear god not that song.
    my guilty pleasure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.