Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I wonder if there is any good sources where I can get some ideas on what to write about in my dissertation (business, organisation theory, etc). I know we will have a workshop regarding the dissertation at Uni but i might not be able to attend that session. Will this be a very big problem or can I plan my work duing the summer months? I think the workshop is compulsary

ReputationRep:
    If you have to miss a compulsory session, make concrete plans to access the material covered, and express your concerns regarding source materials with whoever is running that session.

Typical organisational theory issues cover: leadership, decision-making, communication, change management, team-working, control/power, organisational culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    If you have to miss a compulsory session, make concrete plans to access the material covered, and express your concerns regarding source materials with whoever is running that session.

Typical organisational theory issues cover: leadership, decision-making, communication, change management, team-working, control/power, organisational culture.
    Thanks for the help.

In terms of how the thesis is structured, are you required to do either a qualitative (like interviews) or quantitative (questionnaire) or is there any other format I can use. For example, could I form a hypotheses and then use industry data/macro ecnomic data together with company records (financial statements) as the main source of data? This could perhaps be an analysis on how a certain group of companies have fared in a time period or looking at companies performance after they are floated on the stock market. Or is this too simplistic?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you choose to do, ensure that you have access to the data you will require to prove your hypothesis. What level are we talking, undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Whatever you choose to do, ensure that you have access to the data you will require to prove your hypothesis. What level are we talking, undergrad?
    Ok, yep undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcdermott)
    Ok, yep undergrad.
    Ok, so it's a data-gathering exercise, and construction/reporting of hypothesis and findings, rather than breaking new ground. Keep it simple, but be meticulous with your method. A lot of people try to over-complicate, and that's when ambitious projects unravel.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.