Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have about 5 weeks of university left, until I finish my degree for good.

And today the tutor ran through my grades and what I am expected to get on my dissertation. In turn it levels out at a solid 2:1 degree classification overall.

I haven't really been adding my grades up over the last year or so, and it has come as a suprise I'm a lot further away from a first (1st) than I thought I was.

Several years ago I really struggled with English and Maths during SATS and GCSEs. So being at uni is a minor miracle for me, let alone debating whether at 2:1 is 'good'.

I think overall I'm being too much of a perfectionist and should take a 2:1 in my stride, as I know people can be very happy with a 2:2 let alone a 2:1.

In terms of applying for jobs is there much difference between those who have 2:1s vs 1sts ? And for someone like myself who isn't too bothered about jumping straight into management type roles, would it really make a blind bit of difference?

Suppose I'm just looking for reassurance that I should be more than happy with my predicted final grade, rather than being left thinking 'what if'.

After 3 years of uni this is my first post on here! So any advice would be appreciated

A 2:1 is a fantastic achievement, well done. I graduated with a 2:1 many years ago and I have never felt that it was not good enough. A degree is just another stepping stone to your future. Employers will not look down on it if you don't. Some employers may also feel that a first maybe means that you didn't do enough with your time at uni? Be proud of going to uni and achieving your degree - many don't get that far.
    Good luck
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.