The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I used to work in Ann Summers for over a year so hopefully I can help. I like how informed you are about the differences! It's nice to see.

Hold-ups will always say they are hold-ups on the package, so keep that in mind. The sticky strip around the top can vary in quality so be wary of the cheaper ones, they're very likely to simply fall down. If it is just to wear for the bedroom and for a short time, hold-ups are fine. They are easier to put on, as they don't require any fiddling with fastenings, however probably won't withstand a lot of movement or, er... any sweat.

I find for longer wear, stockings and a suspender belt will always be more comfortable. They also - in my opinion - look more classical. Now, to just look good/short wear, a four-strap belt which you can buy in Ann Summers or similar stores would be fine, as it isn't necessary to hold them in place for a long time. If you do go in, you can ask them to show you how to fasten the clips. It is a case of sliding the stocking between two clips and sandwiching it in place, and can be easy once you know how.

However, for comfort reasons if it is for longer wear and to hold the stockings straight, I always recommend six-strap belts with metal clips. You can find these online or in vintage stores such as What Katie Did or Kissmedeadly. A bonus with metal clipped belts if that you can clip hold-ups as well as stockings in them which is difficult if not impossible to do with plastic clips.

Before you go into store, make sure you know her rough height (for the stockings), dress size and bra size! This can vary a lot so I find the easiest way to find out (other than asking if it is a surprise) is to check the things she wears the most. They'll be the most comfortable for her and thus often give a better idea of her size :smile: Also, if you are buying a bra, find out which style she prefers. Balconette and plunge are the most common - balconette bras have cups which are straighter, whereas plunge ones have ones which 'plunge' in the middle. This explains it better: http://cdn2.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/bratricks2.jpg

I'd be happy to answer more questions if you need it.
Original post by Chaotezy
I used to work in Ann Summers for over a year so hopefully I can help. I like how informed you are about the differences! It's nice to see.

Hold-ups will always say they are hold-ups on the package, so keep that in mind. The sticky strip around the top can vary in quality so be wary of the cheaper ones, they're very likely to simply fall down. If it is just to wear for the bedroom and for a short time, hold-ups are fine. They are easier to put on, as they don't require any fiddling with fastenings, however probably won't withstand a lot of movement or, er... any sweat.

I find for longer wear, stockings and a suspender belt will always be more comfortable. They also - in my opinion - look more classical. Now, to just look good/short wear, a four-strap belt which you can buy in Ann Summers or similar stores would be fine, as it isn't necessary to hold them in place for a long time. If you do go in, you can ask them to show you how to fasten the clips. It is a case of sliding the stocking between two clips and sandwiching it in place, and can be easy once you know how.

However, for comfort reasons if it is for longer wear and to hold the stockings straight, I always recommend six-strap belts with metal clips. You can find these online or in vintage stores such as What Katie Did or Kissmedeadly. A bonus with metal clipped belts if that you can clip hold-ups as well as stockings in them which is difficult if not impossible to do with plastic clips.

Before you go into store, make sure you know her rough height (for the stockings), dress size and bra size! This can vary a lot so I find the easiest way to find out (other than asking if it is a surprise) is to check the things she wears the most. They'll be the most comfortable for her and thus often give a better idea of her size :smile: Also, if you are buying a bra, find out which style she prefers. Balconette and plunge are the most common - balconette bras have cups which are straighter, whereas plunge ones have ones which 'plunge' in the middle. This explains it better: http://cdn2.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/bratricks2.jpg

I'd be happy to answer more questions if you need it.

Thanks for the reply!

I think going off what yourself and others have said, stockings may be the way forward! They wouldn't be used for anything more than a night in I wouldn't have thought and so I am sure a four strap belt would be fine.

I know her rough dress size and I know her bra size however I'm going to have to have a look into her height (thanks for the heads up with that!).

I'm at work all of today and generally busy with A-Levels but if I find anything else to ask, would it be ok for me to DM you? :smile:
Thanks for the reply....it's been really helpful!

I don't think either of our intentions would be for her to wear them anything longer than just the night in. (I could be wrong in which case, when the time comes, I can always suggest what you have done) but as far as I am aware it would solely used for a night in.

It's great to hear about the need for adjustable strap lengths and all as I never would have thought otherwise! I have heard about metal clips too, however been as the idea is for them to only be worn within the house on a night in, would you still recommend having six or more straps, or do you think four would be ample enough?

In regards to the stockings too, how do I know about their lycra content?; is there a number or something?

I'd like to think that hopefully once it all comes together she'll find it not only comfortable but hopefully the fact she might feel more confident and take our love for lingerie that bit higher :smile:

If I think of any other questions, would it be ok if I could DM you please? Thanks :smile:
That's great, thank you! - I really appreciate the help!

I'll have a look online when I can and get back to you :smile:
Original post by physics_geek97
Thanks for the reply!

I think going off what yourself and others have said, stockings may be the way forward! They wouldn't be used for anything more than a night in I wouldn't have thought and so I am sure a four strap belt would be fine.

I know her rough dress size and I know her bra size however I'm going to have to have a look into her height (thanks for the heads up with that!).

I'm at work all of today and generally busy with A-Levels but if I find anything else to ask, would it be ok for me to DM you? :smile:

I do think that stockings and suspenders are always a more dressed up look and if they're the right quality they can last for ages. If you buy expensive stockings to be reworn (like AP ones for instance), make sure that she owns a pair of thin gloves to put them on with, as nails make ladders in stockings so easily. Cheap ones however are normally a couple of wears then the bin I find, especially if you go out in them.

I second the Ted Baker recommendation, and Debenhams in general. They have some beautiful lingerie which isn't boring or made cheaply.

Try to be certain with her dress size as girls often vary with underwear compared to actual clothes, or even by type of underwear. For instance I size up in thongs but my friend has to size down!

And yes you can definitely DM me, can't promise I'll check every day as I'm busy with work but I'll try to!
Suspender belt and fully fashioned stockings.
Advice and help from a LONG-TIME wearer of stockings and suspenders.
As well as all the usual outlets suggested by other wearers such as M&S, Debenhams, BHS, Calzedonia, House of Fraser etc, there is much more choice available online. This is because the wearing of stockings and suspenders has become a niche market with just a small but very dedicated and enthusiastic group of wearers who in my opinion have an affinity for being feminine and the love of dressing up - often just for ourselves. It's hard to believe that before tights, we all wore suspenders every day because trousers/jeans just weren't so fashionable and expected - apart from leisure wear - and leggings hadn't even been invented! Then miniskirts necessitated the invention of tights and the 'mini' could then evolve into the 'micro' skirt. There was a changeover period when tights were available but so expensive as to be desirable but not really a possibility so long stockings and short suspenders became very common. It wasn't that terrible to flash a hint of stocking top in those days because we all did so for a bit of fun and to attract attention. Stockings faded in popularity after the mid 60's but regained popularity in the early 80's and falling out of favour again when leggings became universal. They have however never really gone away for many of us, but as I say, the internet and dedicated stockings websites have kept them available in much the same manner as before when we bought them in high street stores. I agree with the various comments about poor quality suspender belts being sold in several outlets that are just for the bedroom but wish to suggest that you can still enjoy wearing lovely lingerie there too as well as for everyday wear. In addition to the online suggestions of StockingsHQ, Stockingsworld, plus the many sites that come up with an internet search, I would highly recommend the website 'What Katie Did' because as well as having a lovely 1950's-inspired collection of lingerie and stockings you will find a selection of YouTube videos giving sound advice on what type of 'suspender' garment to choose in order to hold up your stockings. Believe me - there is much more pleasure to be enjoyed from holding up your stockings with a garment other than a lovely suspender belt!
Another good website worth a look is 'Secrets In Lace' which has gorgeous fashion ideas and suggestions for a modern 1950's look.
So for those of you still wishing to enjoy the pleasure of stockings there is much advice and help online - you just need to know where to look.

I hope my advice and suggestions help,

Regards,

Catherine.
Buy the stockings and suspender belt from a proper source like Stocking HQ, not from a cheap shop. She will find them a pleasure to wear she will look and feel fantastic in them and the joy will stay with you for ever!

Latest